Preparing for GRE Math Subject Test: Engineering Background

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is interested in pursuing a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics at a US university. They mention that most universities require the GRE math subject test, which they find difficult due to their engineering background. They express a desire to combine rigor and application in their studies, but are unsure of how to prepare for the GRE. The other person advises them to focus on building a strong foundation in key topics and recommends finding a book on rigorous analysis. They also suggest taking enough time to fully understand the concepts instead of just trying to pass the GRE.
Alpharup
I am undergrad doing third year of my engineering. I looked into websites of many US universities for MS Applied math. Most of them require GRE math subject ( as far as I searched)test. The problem is am from engineering background and find it difficult to grasp seemingly simple concepts to math undergrads like limits. I may seem a bit ambitious but want to enter Applied math course to combine both rigor and applications.
GRE math subject test seems so extensive in syllabus including Analysis, topology. How do I prepare for this exam? What books will be both rigorous and easy to comprehend( like Spivak Calculus). Also, do I get a chance of doing math in US?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to go to grad school for mathematics and you're shaky on limits? Forget the GRE then, you have much bigger problems than this. Start by putting together a list of topics you'll need for your grad school. Then put together a list of books you should get through. This should probably contain at least one book on rigorous analysis. Then go through these books and take as much time as you need to fully grasp the concepts. Don't rush through it. When you truly grasp the concepts, the GRE should be no problem. But just don't make "passing the GRE" the primary goal here.

There are prep books and sites with actual sample Math GRE questions out there. You can check, e.g., Barnes and Noble : www.bn.com for books (maybe they have the books in electronic form), or some bookstore in your country. And complement this with Micromass' advice.

Likes micromass

1. How can I prepare for the GRE Math Subject Test if I have an engineering background?

If you have an engineering background, you already have a strong foundation in math. However, it is important to familiarize yourself with the specific topics that are covered on the GRE Math Subject Test. You can do this by reviewing practice tests and focusing on any areas that you may not have covered in your engineering courses.

2. Is it necessary to study all topics for the GRE Math Subject Test if I have an engineering background?

While you may have a strong understanding of many math topics, it is still important to review all of the topics that will be covered on the GRE Math Subject Test. This will ensure that you are well-prepared for any questions that may come up and can help you achieve a higher score.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying for the GRE Math Subject Test?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for the GRE Math Subject Test will depend on your current level of knowledge and comfort with the material. However, it is recommended to set aside at least 2-3 months to thoroughly review all topics and practice with sample questions.

4. Are there any specific resources or study materials that are helpful for preparing for the GRE Math Subject Test with an engineering background?

There are many resources available for preparing for the GRE Math Subject Test, including study guides, practice tests, and online courses. It may be helpful to choose materials that are specifically tailored to the engineering background, as they may provide more relevant examples and practice questions.

5. Are there any tips for taking the GRE Math Subject Test with an engineering background?

One tip for taking the GRE Math Subject Test with an engineering background is to approach each question methodically and carefully. Many engineering students are used to solving problems quickly, but it is important to take your time and carefully read each question to avoid making careless mistakes. Additionally, make sure to review any unfamiliar topics and practice with timed tests to improve your pacing and time management skills.