Preparing for MSc in IIT - Reshma

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, preparing for an MSc in IIT involves careful planning and research to ensure success in the competitive program. This includes understanding the admission requirements and deadlines, preparing for entrance exams, and gathering all necessary documents and references. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the program curriculum and research opportunities, and to develop a strong academic and research background in relevant fields. Additionally, networking and building connections with professors and alumni can be beneficial in securing internships and job opportunities after graduation. Time management, dedication, and a strong passion for the subject are key factors in succeeding in an MSc program at IIT.
im like you

Reshma said:
Hi..

Is anyone preparing for MSc in IIT? If so PLEASE write to me. Eagerly waiting for a favourable reply...

Reshma[/QUO
[
hi reshma I am shishir shishir tripathi. I am also preparing for iit jam 2007.could you please, write me back with your subjects with which you r preparing. you can mail me at ethan_0522@yahoo.co.in

good bye

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
Hi..

Is anyone preparing for MSc in IIT? If so PLEASE write to me. Eagerly waiting for a favourable reply...

Reshma

hi Reshma ..can u pls help me for d prep. in jam 07 physics...like which books i require...

hi,
Iam also preparing for iit JAM in physics.I also want to know the textbooks to be referred while preparing for JAM.please mail me at djrswathickr@yahoo.co.in

msc physics in IIT

Reshma said:
Hi..

Reshma
hi reshma
hw r u?
i m preparing 4 msc physics 4m iit...
please give me guidance regarding books & some of the imp. topics...and the pattern of exam...please mail me at shikhagupta16@gmail.com
thnx a lot
waiting 4 ur reply
byeee

Hi everyone!
Notifications for JAM 2007 will be out soon. :smile:
Check the IIT-Delhi site regularly for details. The JAM 2006 papers have been hosted on the site: http://www.iitd.ac.in/jam/testPapers.html .
Please go through them. They will give you an idea on what kind of questions you can expect. As far as the syllabus is concerned, it usually remains the same every year. You can check the JAM 2006 sites or consult any of the brochures available on JAM. The syllabus is put up there.
More details on JAM syllabus, paper pattern and related stuff are available on this site: http://www.indiaeducation.info/Engineering/Entrance-Exams/IIT/JAM/

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great that they are putting up the previous year's question paper.

Also, the http://jest07.iopb.res.in/ has been made. Although this is primarily aimed at people with a masters degree, some institutes accept those with a bachelors in science and/or technology.

I'm curious at the large response that IIT questions tend to get in this forum. Not just in this thread but in general, when someone posts about IIT a whole bunch of newly registered apparently Indian users post to talk about it. What is the explanation?

hi reshma,
can u suggest me some books for jam(phy).

0rthodontist said:
I'm curious at the large response that IIT questions tend to get in this forum. Not just in this thread but in general, when someone posts about IIT a whole bunch of newly registered apparently Indian users post to talk about it. What is the explanation?
It is because the entrance exam for admissions into the Master's programme in physics and other sciences (called JAM) is around the corner. This exam is a tough one and IITs are the most prestigous institutes in India; so it's kind of every student's dream to get into IIT. As far as new PF memberships are concerned, I reckon that users probably did a google search for IIT- JAM and they noticed my thread. :tongue2: :tongue:

SS said:
hi reshma,
can u suggest me some books for jam(phy).
There are plenty of books that you can refer to for JAM. (Again, go through the syllabus for JAM):smile:
The most recommended books are David Griffiths for ED, Kleppner and Kolenkow for Mechanics, Ajoy Ghatak for QM, Arthur Beiser for Modern physics, Resnick and Halliday for General Physics. Other topics for JAM are some basic electronics and optics, solid state physics and a bit of mathematical physics.

Preparation for JAM mathematics

Hi,
I am preparing for JAM 2007 (math). How should I prepare and what books should I refer?

thank u reshma.again, can u suggest me some books for mathematical physics.we don't follow a particular book for this.

Reshma said:
It is because the entrance exam for admissions into the Master's programme in physics and other sciences (called JAM) is around the corner. This exam is a tough one and IITs are the most prestigous institutes in India; so it's kind of every student's dream to get into IIT. As far as new PF memberships are concerned, I reckon that users probably did a google search for IIT- JAM and they noticed my thread. :tongue2: :tongue:

u r absolutely correct.i joined in this forum after reading ur thread on iit jam.Thanks a lot for ur information.

hi reshma,
Thanks a lot for all info u provide in this thread.its great.can u suggest me some general guidelines for preparing iit jam(phy)

SS said:
thank u reshma.again, can u suggest me some books for mathematical physics.we don't follow a particular book for this.
Well, for mathematical physics the best book I can think of for JAM is Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Mary Boas. They normally ask just one objective question on math. Concentrate on Fourier Series and matrices, they are most likely to be asked.
Most importantly, do the vector analysis part from David Griffiths book on ED, one long question is surely going come on this and there should be no scope for you guys to go wrong on this since the question will be pretty straight forward.

kiruthika said:
hi reshma,
Thanks a lot for all info u provide in this thread.its great.can u suggest me some general guidelines for preparing iit jam(phy)
General guidelines? What can I say? LOL! I can provide you whatever info I can find on JAM. Go through the previous years papers and try to solve them. As a rule however, do as many problems as possible especially on vector analysis, electrodynamics, mechanics and modern physics. Mainly because the questions on these topics are pretty straight-forward and will be easy to solve provided if you well versed with the subject.

Wish you all the best with your preparations!

What about my math query?

Really need to know which books to refer, any pointers?

Kleppner for Mechanics, Griffiths for EM, Boas for Math-methods, QM - I haven't gone through anything else other than Griffiths.

EDIT: Sorry about that. No idea about maths. :redface:

Last edited:
malcolmcarvalho said:
Really need to know which books to refer, any pointers?
Maths? Don't have much idea about maths books. For physics, we basically followed the same books that we used in our undergrad course. If the JAM-syllabus for maths matches your undergrad syllabus continue with the books that you follow. Good luck!

Hey...
I am currently in IIT Bombay doing MSc physics.
Got through JAM 2006, rank 37...
Do post here if you have any more questions.. .I would be glad to be of help.

@ Reshma
Are you in some IIT? Or will you be appearing for JAM?

regarding jam

anjor said:
Hey...
I am currently in IIT Bombay doing MSc physics.
Got through JAM 2006, rank 37...
Do post here if you have any more questions.. .I would be glad to be of help.

@ Reshma
Are you in some IIT? Or will you be appearing for JAM?

hi anjor,

i am preparing for jam 2007... could you please tell me generally what percentage of the paper should be solved to get through..
also tell me books for problems on all sections for physics

Well this is going to take some time for me to get in IIT's but i will really prefer to attempt this exam in future,for the time being i am raring to go in IIT's with grooving rank.
Well, can someone take astrophysics in IIT's? is there any course of it or if it is then how good for me to take it rather than CU La or any other foreign university.

Last edited:
sorry for the late reply...
i had finished resnick and haliday...
and then solved problems from irodov...
also, i had attempted 9 out of the 10 theory problems... 6 i was able to solve completely...
sorry, that's all i remember...
what books are you using currently?

I just entered my final year of BSc... Actually, I just gave the exams of the second year.

It's correct, most UG curriculums in India don't cover Mathematical Physics, so I'm trying to do it from http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/" mechanics text on the net before I'd heard of Kleppner, so I'm going to use that and refer to Kleppner later.

neutrino said:
QM - I haven't gone through anything else other than Griffiths.
I love Griffiths ED... And I want to buy Griffiths QM, I liked the preview on Amazon. I'd be going against convention here, but my final year doesn't have a QM paper (Mumbai Uni... huge stress on Electronics, little on Theoretical).

About JEST, Will there be a separate paper for BSc Physics students in 2008 too? And what about http://www.tifr.res.in/scripts/homepage.php"entrance? Anyone has any experience with that?

Some help on the types of questions, format, etc would be useful. :)

hmm, sorry i hadnt given TIFR entrance and JEST...
but about griffiths ED... you could go through the inital chapters for ED, but some of the latter stuff is not included in the entrance examinations... it will be included as a course in your second semester (at IITB... might be different at other IITs)...

In TY, we have some stuff after the 7th chapter: Poynting vector, and most of the chapter on light. Thanks, though, that'll reduce my burden a bit. :)

books on Solid state physics

can any of the IITians give me the list for the following books required for JAM

1-Solid state physics,devices & electronics
2-Mathematical methods
3-modern Physics
4-Oscillations, waves & optics
5-Kinectic Theory & thermodynamics
6-electricity & magnetism
7-Mechanics and General Properties of Matter

thank you.
urgently.
thank you

DZABHINAV said:
can any of the IITians give me the list for the following books required for JAM

1-Solid state physics,devices & electronics
2-Mathematical methods
3-modern Physics
4-Oscillations, waves & optics
5-Kinectic Theory & thermodynamics
6-electricity & magnetism
7-Mechanics and General Properties of Matter

thank you.
urgently.
thank you

I am not an IITian but I can help you a little with this:

1-Solid state physics,devices & electronics - [Electronic Principles - A. P. Malvino, Solid State Electronics - S. M. Sze]

2-Mathematical methods [ Mary L. Boas]

3-modern Physics [Arthur Beiser]

4-Oscillations, waves & optics [Fundamentals of Optics - Jenkins and White]

5-Kinectic Theory & thermodynamics [Gupta Roy, Lokanathan]

6-electricity & magnetism [Introduction to Electrodynamics - David Griffiths]

7-Mechanics and General Properties of Matter [Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow, Classical Mechanics - K. Symon]

Likes KK029
yea... that list seems to be sufficient...
but i would strongly suggest finishing off resnick halliday first...
and also solving problems from irodov... irodov's problem compilation is pretty good...

Yes, I agree. Also Resnick and Halliday have provided a Student's solution manual separately which gives solutions to the difficult problems in the book. It is worth buying.

hai i m preparing for Msc in IIT in physics

Msc in IIT

anybody can guide me to prepare for IIT-JAM, physics

HI,
I am preparing for MSc Mathematics in IIT.
I would like someone to clarify me about the syllabus. I felt it was vague in that IIT site.
What are the books one requires for preparation?
I have just finished my first yr of BSc. How should my approach be?
Guide me please anyone .

a little help

I have qualified in JAM 2007(Physics) with rank 92... could anyone tell me
which iit i am likely to get:confused:

I do most of the physics from Feynman's lectures and solve problems from Irodov...Is this sufficient to clear IIT jam?