Preparing for MSc in IIT - Reshma

• Thread starter Reshma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, preparing for an MSc in IIT involves careful planning and research to ensure success in the competitive program. This includes understanding the admission requirements and deadlines, preparing for entrance exams, and gathering all necessary documents and references. It is also important to familiarize oneself with the program curriculum and research opportunities, and to develop a strong academic and research background in relevant fields. Additionally, networking and building connections with professors and alumni can be beneficial in securing internships and job opportunities after graduation. Time management, dedication, and a strong passion for the subject are key factors in succeeding in an MSc program at IIT.
do we have solution book for introduction to eletrodynamics by david j griffith?

Physics news on Phys.org
DZABHINAV said:
do we have solution book for introduction to eletrodynamics by david j griffith?

Yes, but it is available only to the instructors. Ask your teacher for it. :smile:

Can i know...when i can appear for JAM...what is the eligibility...can i do it after JEE..!
I am in X class right now...

krateesh said:
Can i know...when i can appear for JAM...what is the eligibility...can i do it after JEE..!
I am in X class right now...

Well JAM is for doing M.Sc in IITs . You can appear for it after your BSc or
in final year of it.If you are interested in basic sciences..then through JEE
you can do Int.MSc..in IITKGP and IITK. If you can't clear it ...then you can go for JAM after B.Sc.

can't I get the solution manual for myself.
there are some problems from the books referred above(ifor physics) which I am unable to get.

Reshma said:
Hi..

Is anyone preparing for MSc in IIT? If so PLEASE write to me. Eagerly waiting for a favourable reply...

Reshma

I have qualified in jam with rank 180. Can I got an admission
haris.m.k

Congrats for qualifying!

IIT-Delhi is the best for Physics AFAIK. I recommend that you read the prospectus of all the IITs before applying. You have a pretty good rank and I think you might get admitted to one of the IITs. Anyways, be well informed before appplying. Wish you good luck!

IITK is the best... not IITD...
IITKGP, IITB come second i think...

The problem with IITK is that, everyone (all the profs) there do condensed matter physics... and mostly experimental... so you don't get much of a choice in your project in 2nd year msc.
In IITB there are 2-3 people working in particle physics, cosmology, along with a very strong condensed matter department...

and sorry to say, but 180 is not that great a rank in JAM, because there arent as many seats as you get through JEE... but you should be able to get into some IIT. Check how many seats each IIT offers, and while giving options add the total number of seats offered and see to it that they are more than your rank to ensure admission.

Congrats for qualifying JAM! :)

anjor said:
IITK is the best... not IITD...
IITKGP, IITB come second i think...

The problem with IITK is that, everyone (all the profs) there do condensed matter physics... and mostly experimental... so you don't get much of a choice in your project in 2nd year msc.
In IITB there are 2-3 people working in particle physics, cosmology, along with a very strong condensed matter department...

You don't get much of a choice in the subjects for MSc in IIT anyway. They do not offer specialized courses in any stream, but have only general courses. IMO, one can always switch to which ever stream they want to after their MSc, the kind of project they get in their second year is not going to make a big difference.

and sorry to say, but 180 is not that great a rank in JAM, because there arent as many seats as you get through JEE... but you should be able to get into some IIT. Check how many seats each IIT offers, and while giving options add the total number of seats offered and see to it that they are more than your rank to ensure admission.

Congrats for qualifying JAM! :)
There are about 220 seats available in Physics from all IITs put together. So 180 is not such a bad rank to get into atleast one of them if not the one of your original choice. :tongue2:

I have got admission in iit Roorkee for MSc physics. What is your opinion about IITR.

im preparing for physics in JAM 2008. help me in giving suitable books.

yea... that was exactly my point... he would be able to get into an IIT, but not neccessarily his first choice...

Regarding the specialization issue, you can certainly shift over after your MSc... but in your second year you work on a MSc project... which is a year long project... it helps a lot if you apply in the same topic for your PhD... In my case I am doing that in neutrino physics. Also, it being a year long project, this is what the applications committee (of your prospective grad school) usually focuses on...

p.s. - whatever i am writing is assuming that the student would app for PhD after his/her MSc in IIT.

what are the reference books for M.Sc.(Maths) admission in IIT?

Iit

Can we complete Msc integrated physics in iit in a faster pace,5 years seems a lot

Books for Math prep

Hi,
I would be grateful if someone provides the following info:
1. Books needed to prepare for IIT-JAM 2008 (M.Sc. in Math)
2. Time required for preparation
3. Scope and career after M.Sc. Math at IIT
4. Number of students (approx.) who take the IIT-JAM
5. Rank (approx.) to be secured to get a seat into IIT for M.Sc. Math

Alternatively one can mail me to radhakrishna284@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

How much time should it take to complete EM section frm Halliday - Resnick Vol.2 1962 edition??
& How r d problems from them? i mean r they askable or alike probs askable?
Thanks

Albert_physics7 said:
How much time should it take to complete EM section frm Halliday - Resnick Vol.2 1962 edition??
& How r d problems from them? i mean r they askable or alike probs askable?
Thanks
:rofl:
I don't understand what you are trying to ask.
Just go through the syllabus for JAM and try to organize the topics in EM, accordingly solve problems of each type. As far as the time required, it depends on how early you started your preparation. Typically a years' worth of preparation is good enough to cover all topics in JAM thoroughly.

Reshma said:
I don't understand what you are trying to ask.

I meant to say in B.Sc does d whole syllabus of JAM is covered?:uhh: if one isn't in honors:rolleyes:

Albert_physics7 said:
I meant to say in B.Sc does d whole syllabus of JAM is covered?:uhh: if one isn't in honors:rolleyes:
This probably the umpteenth time I am telling this :grumpy:: GO through the JAM syllabus! I have given the links for it or Google for it. I don't know from which university you are from...but I think most BSc syllabii everywhere is adequate for JAM at least for general physics. Whatever extra is needed especially if you haven't taken any semesters in maths have to be self-studied. Otherwise there is no problem.

Albert_physics7 said:

Which university do you study in? The cirriculum changes from university to university, although with a little extra effort, I think you can cover everything (be sure to solve previous years papers). And check the IIT website for a syllabus.

Okkkkkk
& wat about the no. of questions asked on each topic...
Out of 25 how many questions r asked on Mechanics & Prop. of Matter, Oscillations, Modern Physics, EM..etc..??...
is it fixed or Randomly?

Reshma said:
Hi..

Is anyone preparing for MSc in IIT? If so PLEASE write to me. Eagerly waiting for a favourable reply...

Reshma

ur post is so old ... what are u doing now is ur masters completed

bharats said:
ur post is so old ... what are u doing now is ur masters completed
I will get my master's degree in four months. :smile:

masters from which univ

Reshma said:
I will get my master's degree in four months. :smile:

Can you pls help me preparing for JAM. My mail ID gjcharankumar@yahoo.co.in

Charan said:
Can you pls help me preparing for JAM. My mail ID gjcharankumar@yahoo.co.in

I have given all the useful links on JAM. Please browse through this thread and search for it. The old papers have been uploaded on JAM site. Please try solving all of them. Any difficulties regarding the solutions, you can very well post your doubts in the homework section. The panel here will be happy to help you.:approve:

Here are some old JAM papers:
http://www.iitg.ac.in/jam/oldpaper.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

thanks for replying

HI TO EVERYBODY.you can get all the papers of IIT-JAM on the site :iitg.ac.in/jam from 2005 TO 2007 BYE

or on iitg.ernet.in/jam/oldpapers.html you can find all papers of iit jam from 2005 to 2007

ok, is anuone already studying in IIT? CAn u tell me how must marks do u have to get to get in IIT?
Reshma, where are u studying? I became a member o this site after reading ur blog.

TRAJECTORY.IN :The eVERYTHING OF IIT JAM , GATE , MCA, UGC-NET

Hi guys i came across this stunning website for IIT JAM , GATE , MCA , UGC-NET. this site has all the preparation resources , model test papers , discussion forum and expert guidance all free. Join it and enjoy your preparation

Am i eligible for JAM after Btech in electronics and Comm.?
How are the career prospects after MSc in Physics?

swastik said:
Hi guys i came across this stunning website for IIT JAM , GATE , MCA , UGC-NET. this site has all the preparation resources , model test papers , discussion forum and expert guidance all free. Join it and enjoy your preparation

i think u missed out the site ..

Reshma said:
Hi..

I would like to know what are the preparations required for JAM?

hii reshma
u can visit www.trajectory.in
u can find lot of material for iit jam
it is managed by a team of iitians