Preparing for Second year physics

In summary, the person had a difficult time in their first year physics course, specifically in Newton mechanics, but managed to pass with a C. They are now preparing for second year physics and are concerned about their lack of understanding from the first year. The second year curriculum includes topics such as vectors, kinematics, angular momentum, and special theory of relativity. The focus of the third quarter is on mathematics and computational methods. The recommended textbook for the course is Morin's Introduction to Classical Mechanics, but the person also plans on reviewing Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics. It is suggested to take extra time to review material from the first year if needed.
Flat
Unfortuantely I did not do so well in Newton mechanics in the first year physics course. In brief, I decided to take the honors version with no prior physics experience and no care to try to fill in the gaps. Fortunately I managed to pull off a C overall but I hardly retained any information from the class.

So now I am trying to prepare for second year physics because I have a feeling that my poor performance will come back to haunt me.

Just in case the second year curriculum varies by school, this is the description of the courses:
First Quarter
"Vectors and Kinematics Foundations of Newtonian Mechanics Momentum, Work, and Energy Conservative and Nonconservative Forces Potentials Angular Momentum Rotation About a Fixed Axis Also ... introduction to Mathematica "
Second Quarter
"Angular Momentum (ch 6) Rigid Body Motion (ch 7) Noninertial Systems and Fictious Forces (ch 8) Central Force Motion (ch 9) Special Theory of Relativity (ch 11) Relativistic Kinematics (ch 12) Relativistic Momentum and Energy (ch 13)"
Third Quarter
"The focus is on ensuring a solid foundation in mathematics and computational methods upon which subsequent physics (or other science or engineering) courses can build. It is neither a substitute for the standard math prerequisites nor is it a remedial math course. The goals of the computational component are to introduce selected concepts of numerical analysis and visualization along with a gentle introduction to programming by example"

The book for the classes is Morin's Introduction to classical mechanics:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521876222/?tag=pfamazon01-20 I plan on looking over the Newton mechanics from Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics (which is the text for the regular version of first year physics). Will this be enough, or do you recommend something better? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would just plan to take a bit of extra time over your second year textbooks so you have time to look back to the appropriate chapters in Morin & Halliday, if you need to.

I understand the importance of building a strong foundation in physics, especially in a subject as fundamental as Newtonian mechanics. It is commendable that you have recognized your weaknesses and are taking proactive steps to prepare for your second year physics courses.

One recommendation I have is to not solely rely on reviewing material from a different textbook. While Halliday's Fundamentals of Physics is a reputable resource, it may not cover all the topics and concepts that were taught in your honors version of first year physics. It would be beneficial to also review your lecture notes and any additional materials provided by your professor.

Additionally, I would highly recommend seeking out extra help from your professor, teaching assistants, or peers who excelled in the first year physics course. They may be able to provide additional insights and explanations that can help solidify your understanding of the material.

In terms of preparation for the second year curriculum, it is important to have a strong understanding of vectors and kinematics, as these concepts are the foundation for many topics in mechanics. You may also want to review concepts related to forces, work, energy, and momentum, as these will likely be expanded upon in the second year courses.

Lastly, I would also suggest practicing problems and doing exercises from the textbook you will be using in your second year courses. This will not only help you retain the material, but also familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked on exams.

Overall, it is great that you are taking the initiative to prepare for your second year physics courses. With dedication and hard work, I am confident that you will be able to overcome any challenges and succeed in your studies. Best of luck to you!

Related to Preparing for Second year physics

1. How can I best review my first year physics material before starting second year?

It is important to first identify your strengths and weaknesses in first year physics. Then, create a study schedule that allows you to review and practice the topics you struggled with the most. Utilize resources such as textbooks, online videos, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

2. What topics are typically covered in second year physics?

Second year physics courses typically cover topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. It is important to check with your specific course syllabus for a more detailed list of topics.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your problem-solving skills. Make sure to regularly work through practice problems and seek help from classmates or professors when you get stuck. Additionally, try to understand the underlying concepts behind the problems rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. What math skills are necessary for success in second year physics?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and trigonometry is essential for success in second year physics. Make sure to review these topics if you feel your math skills are lacking.

5. How can I stay organized and manage my workload in second year physics?

It is important to stay organized and on top of your workload in second year physics. Use a planner or calendar to keep track of assignments and due dates. Break down larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and make a study schedule that works for you. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you feel overwhelmed.