What do I do to catch up on Physics 1?

In summary, the student is about to start their second year in nanobiology and wants to catch up on physics, specifically on dynamics, thermodynamics, and electricity. They only had 2 physics courses in their first year and did poorly in both. They are seeking books or tips to prepare for their upcoming physics courses and have a month of free time before their second year starts. It is recommended to review the previous course materials and work on problems and exercises from the textbook. The student may also need to address any issues that may have caused them to do poorly in their first year physics courses.
reby062001
I am a nanobiology student about to start her 2nd year. This year I only had 2 physics courses and I did pretty bad in both. As I start my second year I would like to be very prepared in physics since we will have way more of this subject. Are there some books or tips you have to catch up on Physics 1? the topics I'd like to have a solid knowledge of are: dynamics(everything from momentum, to circular motion, energy, Newton's law), thermodynamics and electricity. It is mainly the basic classical physics that I don't know.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Most folks must learn physics a little at a time. So you need to always be current with the class To that end
  1. Read carefully the assigned text before the lecture and look at the problems. If someone were to ask "what's today's lecture about?" you should be able to give them a two minute synopsis as you enter the lecture hall. Take notes only on the hard stuff not well explained in the text
  2. Work assigned problems with enough time to spare that you can make up any deficiencies and finish. Write complete and concise solutions
  3. Never think that you will study "later" for the final. Learn it Now. Your physics life will get much easier
For catchup, work problems and exercises from your text.
And, as a favor to me, never utter the phrase "is that going to be on the test?" If the prof is teaching it, it is important in her mind...that's why she gets the big bucks. Learn it Now

Likes reby062001, symbolipoint, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
reby062001 said:
I am a nanobiology student about to start her 2nd year. This year I only had 2 physics courses and I did pretty bad in both. As I start my second year I would like to be very prepared in physics since we will have way more of this subject. Are there some books or tips you have to catch up on Physics 1? the topics I'd like to have a solid knowledge of are: dynamics(everything from momentum, to circular motion, energy, Newton's law), thermodynamics and electricity. It is mainly the basic classical physics that I don't know.
* When does your second year start? That obviously limits what you can do.

* Were you unhappy with the text(s) you used during your first year? Unless something was amiss with them, the obvious approach is to review them (along with previous problem sets and exams): I assume your second year material will be based on your first year material, so you want to stay in sync.

Likes gwnorth, reby062001 and symbolipoint
Do you know why you did poorly in the physics courses? You may want to address those issues before attempting to review by doing more of the same.

CrysPhys said:
* When does your second year start? That obviously limits what you can do.

* Were you unhappy with the text(s) you used during your first year? Unless something was amiss with them, the obvious approach is to review them (along with previous problem sets and exams): I assume your second year material will be based on your first year material, so you want to stay in sync.
I will start in September so I only have 1 month but I have a lot of free time. It might be a good idea to study on my textbook it wasn't that bad

reby062001 said:
I will start in September so I only have 1 month but I have a lot of free time. It might be a good idea to study on my textbook it wasn't that bad
I don't think that 1 month is enough to catch up with the material of two courses, however with hard study (something like 6-8 hours per day) you might achieve something that would be much better than nothing.

1. How do I start catching up on Physics 1?

The first step is to assess your current understanding and identify the specific topics or concepts that you need to work on. This will help you create a study plan and prioritize your learning. You can also reach out to your instructor or classmates for guidance on where to begin.

2. What are some effective study techniques for catching up on Physics 1?

Some effective study techniques include reviewing class notes and textbooks, practicing problems, and using online resources such as videos and interactive simulations. It is also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and to regularly review and test yourself on the material.

3. How can I stay motivated while catching up on Physics 1?

Staying motivated can be challenging, but setting specific goals and tracking your progress can help. You can also find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Additionally, reminding yourself of the importance and relevance of physics in your field of study can also help keep you motivated.

4. Is it possible to catch up on Physics 1 if I am behind?

Yes, it is possible to catch up on Physics 1 even if you are behind. It may require extra effort and dedication, but with a solid study plan and consistent practice, you can improve your understanding and catch up on missed material.

5. What resources are available to help me catch up on Physics 1?

There are many resources available to help you catch up on Physics 1. Your instructor, teaching assistants, and classmates can provide support and guidance. There are also online resources such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems. Additionally, many schools offer tutoring services or study groups for students who need extra help in physics.