Preparing for upper division courses (transfer)

In summary: It's unlikely they will change the textbook from the previous years' classes. Can you find out which texts they use and skim through it at your local technical library? Or use "Look Inside" at Amazon.com...It is possible to find used textbooks at local libraries.
Noah BK
Hi,

In about two weeks I'm starting my Junior year at a UC, after transferring from a community college. I want to review/get ahead before the quarter officially starts, but I'm at a loss of how to do so. I feel like I may be at a disadvantage to other students because my previous courses weren't that difficult.

The two physics classes I'm taking are a (lower division) QM/stat. mechanics and a course on mathematical methods. In particular, the upper division math worries me, because the courses I've taken focused heavily on computation.

What books or online materials would you guys recommend, which would serve as a good primer for the aforementioned classes? Thanks.

Oh and also, the required materials still haven't been posted for my classes, so yeah.

Physics news on Phys.org
Noah BK said:
What books or online materials would you guys recommend, which would serve as a good primer for the aforementioned classes? Thanks.
Why are you asking us? Find out the contact information of the people who are teaching these classes and ask them. They are in a much better position to inform you.

Noah BK said:
The two physics classes I'm taking are a (lower division) QM/stat. mechanics and a course on mathematical methods.
Which UC? Can you link to the information on the classes at the UC website?
Noah BK said:
Oh and also, the required materials still haven't been posted for my classes, so yeah.
It's unlikely they will change the textbook from the previous years' classes. Can you find out which texts they use and skim through it at your local technical library? Or use "Look Inside" at Amazon.com...
kuruman said:
Find out the contact information of the people who are teaching these classes and ask them.
That would be ideal, but it may be hard to get ahold of the professors or TAs for the upcoming classes. Unless he is already on-campus, then he could just walk over and see who he can talk with...

I would review Calculus 1,2,3. In my upper division circuits, and EM.Many students had trouble with related rates and Stokes Theorem, respectively for the classes mentioned. Review introductory physics. I cannot stress enough the topics from mechanics needed for the derivations of topics in EM. Have you taken Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations? If not, you should also take it you're first semester, even if they are not required courses. The topics learned in these two classes are used widely throughout physics. I am majoring in mathematics, but I take physics classes for fun.

How good were you're math classes? If you are coming from a community college in the LACCD, you may be deficient in mathematics, even if you got an A. I worked for these schools...

What are the benefits of preparing for upper division courses as a transfer student?

Preparing for upper division courses as a transfer student can have several benefits, including:

• Increased understanding of the subject matter
  • Improved time management and study skills
  • Opportunities to build relationships with professors and peers
  • Better preparation for future career or graduate studies
  • Potential to earn higher grades and improve GPA

What steps should I take to prepare for upper division courses as a transfer student?

To prepare for upper division courses as a transfer student, you should:

• Research the specific requirements and expectations of the upper division courses
  • Review course materials and syllabi from previous semesters
  • Reach out to professors or academic advisors for guidance and advice
  • Brush up on any prerequisite knowledge or skills
  • Create a study plan and schedule to stay organized and on track

How can I make the most of my time in upper division courses as a transfer student?

To make the most of your time in upper division courses as a transfer student, you should:

• Attend all lectures and participate actively in class discussions
  • Take thorough notes and review them regularly
  • Form study groups with other students in the course
  • Utilize resources such as office hours, tutoring services, and study guides
  • Stay on top of assignments and study consistently throughout the semester

What are some common challenges that transfer students face when preparing for upper division courses?

Some common challenges that transfer students may face when preparing for upper division courses include:

• Adjusting to a new academic environment and expectations
  • Catching up on prerequisite knowledge or skills
  • Feeling isolated or disconnected from peers and professors
  • Time management and balancing coursework with other responsibilities
  • Feeling overwhelmed or anxious about the workload

Are there any resources or support services available for transfer students preparing for upper division courses?

Yes, most universities have resources and support services specifically for transfer students preparing for upper division courses. These may include:

• Transfer student orientation programs
  • Academic advising and counseling
  • Tutoring and study groups
  • Peer mentoring programs
  • Workshops and seminars on study skills and time management