Preparing NaOH Reagent: Diluting 0.32M Solution with Water

• Thread starter Nanu Nana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prepare
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prepare a 0.32 mol/L solution of NaOH using a dilution method. The process involves diluting 1 part of the solution with 4 parts of water, with the specific volume of each not being important. However, the problem is incomplete as it does not specify whether the reagent is already available or needs to be prepared, and there is not enough information to calculate any dilutions since only one concentration is given.
Nanu Nana

Homework Statement

There is a reagent given . NaOH with concentration of 0,32 mol/ L
HOw to prepare it ?
it says dilute 1 part by volume of solution Naoh with 4 parts by volume of redist.water ??
(Neglect the total volume that you need , it's not important ) just the process to make it

Homework Equations

cxv=cxv

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it correct if i say 1 mL of naoh solution and 4 ml of water ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem doesn't look complete to me. You say you have a reagent and you are asked to prepare it. You either have it, or you have to prepare it.

And dilution is used to prepare a solution with a lower concentration from a more concentrated solution. You listed only one concentration, so there is not enough information to calculate any dilutions.

1. What is the purpose of preparing reagents?

Reagents are chemical substances used in scientific experiments to cause a chemical reaction or to detect the presence of other substances. They are essential for conducting experiments accurately and obtaining reliable results.

2. How do I determine the amount of reagent to use?

The amount of reagent needed depends on the specific experiment and the concentration of the reagent. It is important to carefully read the experiment protocol and calculate the amount of reagent required based on its concentration and the desired final concentration.

3. How should reagents be stored?

Reagents should be stored according to their specific storage requirements, which can usually be found on the label or in the material safety data sheet. Some reagents may need to be kept in a cool, dry place, while others may need to be refrigerated or stored in a fume hood.

4. Can I prepare reagents in advance?

In some cases, reagents can be prepared in advance and stored for a period of time. However, it is important to follow the recommended storage conditions and check the stability of the reagent before using it in an experiment. Some reagents may degrade over time and become less effective.

5. What precautions should I take when preparing reagents?

When preparing reagents, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid contact with the skin and eyes. It is also important to carefully follow the instructions and handle the reagents with caution, as some may be hazardous if mishandled. In addition, always work in a well-ventilated area and dispose of any leftover or unused reagents properly.