Prerequisite of the book "Linear Algebra done right"

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's completion of Stewart's calculus and their desire to now study linear algebra. They have purchased a textbook by Sheldon Axler but are unsure if their knowledge of calculus is enough to understand it. They ask for suggestions on a more basic linear algebra textbook to lay the foundation. The expert recommends checking out a resource on self-studying linear algebra and suggests books such as Friedberg, Strang, Singh, and Lay. They also suggest watching 3blue1brown's linear algebra videos and advise against starting with Axler's book due to its abstract and theoretical approach.
PcumP_Ravenclaw
Dear Fellows,
I have recently completed the study of Stewart's calculus. Next, I want to read Linear Algebra.

I have bought Sheldon Axler's "Linear Algebra done right" textbook. I want to know if my knowledge of calculus is enough to tackle this book or should I first read from a more basic Linear Algebra textbook before moving on to Axler? If so, please suggest me such a book that can lay the foundation.

Cheers,

-Ravenclaw

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculous and linear algebra are fairly independent subjects. I don't think you should worry about that. Although I am not familiar with your chosen text, my understanding is that it has a somewhat unusual approach and describes things as operators, rather than tangible matrices. That may leave gaps in your practical knowledge.

Likes PcumP_Ravenclaw
Take a look at this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-algebra-linear-algebra
It specifically mentions Friedberg as a pre-req. These books are both looking at linear algebra in a proof-based way as a mathematician would.

For a book that treats linear algebra in a way similar to how Stewart cover's calculus, consider these two:
(1) Introduction to Linear Algebra (5th ed) by Strang.
(2) Linear Algebra step-by-step by Singh
Linear Algebra by Lay is also frequently recommended.

Also, consider watching the brilliant linear algebra videos by 3blue1brown:

These videos brilliantly convey intuition.

Likes Highwire, penta-d and PcumP_Ravenclaw
i do not recommend axler for you now. it is terse and abstract, and theoretical, and omits some very useful computational aspects. i suggest friedberg, insel and spence, or shilov, or even much easier books.

Last edited:
Likes penta-d, MyWrathAcademia and FactChecker

What is the prerequisite knowledge needed to understand the book "Linear Algebra done right"?

The book "Linear Algebra done right" assumes knowledge of basic algebra and calculus. It also helps to have some familiarity with mathematical proofs.

Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of linear algebra before reading this book?

No, this book is designed to be an introduction to linear algebra. However, having some knowledge of basic algebra and calculus will make it easier to understand the concepts presented.

Can this book be used for self-study?

Yes, the book is written in a clear and concise manner, making it suitable for self-study. It also includes exercises and solutions to help reinforce the concepts.

How is this book different from other textbooks on linear algebra?

This book focuses on the theoretical foundations of linear algebra, rather than just computational techniques. It also uses a more abstract and rigorous approach, which is useful for students planning to continue their studies in mathematics or related fields.

Are there any resources available to supplement the book?

Yes, the author provides a companion website with additional resources such as practice problems, solutions, and study guides. There are also many online resources and videos available for further understanding of the concepts.