Prerequisites for holography in condensed matter

In summary, to better understand holography as applied to strongly correlated condensed matter systems, it is recommended to first learn about quantum phase transitions and to read reviews on arXiv. Additionally, there are books on AdS/CFT that can provide helpful insights.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
What are prerequisite courses/topics to better understand holography as applied to strongly correlated condensed matter systems? Any references/textbooks would be appreciated. I'm doing research on this topic and would like my understanding to improve.

Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I am actually in the process of learning more about this topic. As you probably know, holography has been used to study things like transport in quantum critical regimes (strange metals), so you should first learn about quantum phase transitions.

From what I've heard from others in the field, a good way to learn is to read some of the reviews available on arXiv. In contrast to what you may think, you really do not need to know that much GR.
There are also some books on AdS/CFT I've found which seem pretty helpful.

Likes ZetaOfThree

1. What is holography in condensed matter?

Holography in condensed matter is a technique used to study the properties of a material in three dimensions by creating a 2D holographic image of the material. It allows researchers to visualize and analyze the behavior of the material, which can provide valuable insights into its structure and properties.

2. What are the prerequisites for holography in condensed matter?

The main prerequisites for holography in condensed matter are a laser light source, a holographic plate or film, and a material with specific properties that can be observed and analyzed through the holographic image. Additionally, advanced mathematical and computational methods are also necessary for data analysis and interpretation.

3. How does holography in condensed matter differ from other holographic techniques?

Holography in condensed matter differs from other holographic techniques, such as digital holography or holographic microscopy, in that it focuses specifically on studying the properties of condensed matter materials, such as crystals or polymers. It also utilizes different equipment and methods for data analysis.

4. What are some applications of holography in condensed matter research?

Holography in condensed matter has a wide range of applications in materials science, including studying the properties of crystals, polymers, and other complex materials. It can also be used in biomedical research to study the structure and behavior of biological materials at a microscopic level.

5. What are the current limitations of holography in condensed matter research?

One of the main limitations of holography in condensed matter research is the need for specialized equipment and expertise, which can make it a costly and time-consuming technique. There are also limitations in the resolution and accuracy of holographic images, which can affect the quality of data analysis and interpretation.