Pressure and Volume -- are the growth/decay rates exponential?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of exponential growth/decay and the use of equations to calculate pressure over volume and work done of pressure. The equations used are P = 3.2c^-1.4 and f(v) = -8v^-0.4, and the limits of 10x10^-6 to 100x10^-6 are set with an increase of 20x10^-6 each time. There is confusion about whether these equations represent exponential decay and if they both exhibit this type of growth. The conversation ends with a request for clarification or further context.
lee123456789

Homework Statement

forumlate if its growth/decay is exponential
I have equation that i intergrated and found Pressure over volume = work done of pressure
P = 3.2c^-1.4
f(v) = -8v^-0.4
i set limits of 10x10^-6 --> 100x10^-6
and
10x10^-6 --> 100x10^-6 but i increase both values by 20x10^-6 every time for this one

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know they both decay and decrease in value by ruffly a half each time. but they slow down in decay and there decay rates slow down.
i know a exponential function is something power of x

second limits sets it doesn't cross the x-axis it stays just above it each time
first limits sets cross the x-axis and slows down but keeps on decreasing . it doesn't stay above a certain value. it keeps on decreasing

slightly confused
are these decay and is the function overall both examples exponential and exponential decay ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello 1through9,
lee123456789 said:
forumlate if its growth/decay is exponential
I have equation that i intergrated and found Pressure over volume = work done of pressure
P = 3.2c^-1.4
f(v) = -8v^-0.4
This is not a problem statement. This way, helping becomes impossible !

Likes Chestermiller and Phylosopher
Please write down the question. I cannot even guess why there is exponential decay to begin with.

forumulate if the decay/growth is exponential that is al lthe question has given

im just bit confused of expnential
i worked out and draw both grapth. one goes negative and one stays postive and just continuous hovers above the 0 mark of x axis. they both produce a curve. but one. but one of them continously decrease in valuve and never levels off
are these decay and is the function overall both examples exponential and exponential decay ?

lee123456789 said:
forumulate if the decay/growth is exponential that is al lthe question has given
Can't believe that. Is it about Little Red Riding Hood or is it about something else ? What ? Any context ?

1. What is the relationship between pressure and volume in regards to growth/decay rates?

The relationship between pressure and volume in regards to growth/decay rates is described by Boyle's Law, which states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa.

2. How do growth/decay rates affect pressure and volume?

Growth/decay rates can affect pressure and volume by changing the amount of gas present in a given space. As the amount of gas increases, pressure and volume will also increase due to the gas particles colliding with the walls of the container more frequently. As the amount of gas decreases, pressure and volume will also decrease.

3. Is the relationship between pressure and volume exponential?

No, the relationship between pressure and volume is not exponential. It is described by an inverse relationship, meaning that as one variable increases, the other decreases at a constant rate. Exponential relationships involve one variable increasing or decreasing at an increasing rate.

4. How do temperature and pressure affect the growth/decay rates of a gas?

Temperature and pressure have a direct effect on the growth/decay rates of a gas. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of gas particles also increases, causing them to move faster and collide with the walls of the container more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure and volume. As pressure increases, the growth/decay rates of a gas also increase.

5. Can the growth/decay rates of a gas be controlled?

Yes, the growth/decay rates of a gas can be controlled by manipulating the temperature, pressure, and volume of the gas. By changing these variables, the amount of gas present in a given space can be altered, thus affecting the growth/decay rates. This is important in various industries such as chemical manufacturing and food preservation.