Pressure and volume change problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of modifying inlet port pressure vs time curves for different engine speeds. The volume change and rate of change of volume with time are known, but the pressure drop needs to be adjusted accordingly. One approach suggested is to assume that the pressure drop is proportional to the rate of change of volume and calculate a scaling factor to modify the original curves.
monkey55
I have the inlet port pressure vs time curves for a particular engine speed. I want to be able to modify these to get an estimate of the curves for other engine speeds.

So basically this is an expansion problem,the volume change is known(and max volume change is constant), but the rate of change of volume with time(dV/dt) changes.I know the change in dV/dt from the change in engine speed.

I can change the time axis on the curves easily by knowing the engine speed.But how do i change the value of the pressure change(drop)? surely as the engine speed (dV/dt) increases, the amount of pressure drop should also increase!?...im in the UK so SI equations would be much appreciated,we're not taught imperial!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tricky problem and you may have to use some trial-and-error to get the right answer. One way to approach it would be to assume that the pressure drop is proportional to the rate of change of volume, i.e. dP/dt ∝ dV/dt. Then you can calculate a scaling factor, k, such that:dP/dt = k*dV/dtThen you can use this scaling factor to modify your original curves. For example, if you want to modify the curves for double the engine speed, then you would multiply the pressure drop in each point by 2*k.

Related to Pressure and volume change problem

1. How does pressure affect volume in a closed container?

According to Boyle's Law, pressure and volume have an inverse relationship in a closed container. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa.

2. Can pressure and volume change independently of each other?

No, pressure and volume are directly related to each other in a closed container. If one changes, the other will change in the opposite direction.

3. What factors can cause a change in pressure and volume in a closed container?

The main factors that can cause a change in pressure and volume in a closed container are temperature, amount of gas, and volume of the container itself. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in pressure and volume.

4. How can we calculate the change in pressure or volume in a closed container?

To calculate the change in pressure or volume in a closed container, we can use the formula P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.

5. What practical applications does understanding pressure and volume relationships have?

Understanding pressure and volume relationships is important in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to explain the behavior of gases, design and operate equipment such as pumps and compressors, and even understand the respiratory system in humans and animals.