Pressure as a renewable source of energy

In summary, there are machines and devices such as piezoelectrics, central station steam plants, and hydroelectric dams that use pressure as a source of energy to produce electricity. However, pressure by itself cannot be used to power anything and requires two regions of different pressure and something flowing between them.
abdo799
I am designing a machine to produce electricity , using pressure as a source of energy.
So my question is simple, is there any machine or device that are used to produce electricity from pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, google piezoelectrics.

Note that anything that leaves the pressure unchanged will not produce electricity.

Central station steam plants use lots of pressure to make electricity, though not directly of course.

mikeph said:
Yes, google piezoelectrics.
I know about piezoelectrics , they are not considered as power generators though, i am talking about a generator , to generate electricity on a bigger scale, like solar or wind

SteamKing said:
Central station steam plants use lots of pressure to make electricity, though not directly of course.

doesn't a steam plant need a source of energy to produce steam ?

abdo799 said:
doesn't a steam plant need a source of energy to produce steam ?
They sure do. But pressure doesn't exist by itself, in a vacuum, so to speak.

Likes 1 person
Pressure by itself cannot be used to power anything. For that you need 2 regions of different pressure.

Hydroelectric dams (usually) also utilize the pressure energy of pressurized water to produce energy. Are we detecting a pattern yet?

Likes 1 person
mrspeedybob said:
Pressure by itself cannot be used to power anything. For that you need 2 regions of different pressure.
And something flowing between them.

It's like saying, I'm going to use me some high temperature to make an electric generator.

Likes 1 person
Ok , thanks for your help

Related to Pressure as a renewable source of energy

1. What is pressure as a renewable source of energy?

Pressure as a renewable source of energy refers to the use of pressure differentials, such as air or water pressure, to generate electricity. This can be accomplished through various methods, such as hydroelectric dams or pneumatic systems.

2. How does pressure generate electricity?

Pressure can generate electricity through the use of turbines. In hydroelectric dams, the pressure of the water turns the blades of a turbine, which spins a generator to produce electricity. In pneumatic systems, the pressure of compressed air is used to power turbines or other mechanical devices that generate electricity.

3. Is pressure a reliable source of renewable energy?

Yes, pressure can be a very reliable source of renewable energy. Hydroelectric dams, for example, can provide a steady and consistent flow of electricity as long as there is a consistent supply of water. Pneumatic systems can also be reliable as long as there is a steady supply of compressed air.

4. What are the benefits of using pressure as a renewable source of energy?

There are several benefits to using pressure as a renewable source of energy. It is a clean and sustainable source of energy, meaning it has minimal impact on the environment. It is also cost-effective and can help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. Additionally, it can provide a reliable source of electricity in remote or off-grid areas.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using pressure as a renewable source of energy?

One potential drawback of using pressure as a renewable source of energy is its limited availability. Hydroelectric dams, for example, require a suitable location with a large source of water. Pneumatic systems may also be limited by the availability of compressed air. Additionally, the initial cost of building the necessary infrastructure for pressure energy systems can be high.