How Does Heron's Ancient Steam Engine Calculate Rotational Speed?

• Thread starter Arcarius
  • Start date
In summary, Heron of Alexandria invented the steam jet engine in the first century A.D. One of his many inventions, the one shown below, was later rediscovered as the steam engine. The spherical container has a radius of 0.2 m and mass of 10 kg and is hollow with two spouts extending 0.1 m above its surface. The moment of inertia of the container is 0.27 kg * m^2. If the pressure inside reaches 1.5 atmospheres, the angular acceleration of the container is 35 rad/s^2. The energy stored by the steam inside the container is 1700 J and if this energy were completely converted into rotational kinetic energy, the final angular velocity of
Arcarius

Homework Statement

Heron of Alexandria invented the steam jet engine in the first century A.D. One of his many inventions, the one shown below was invented for amusement but employs many concepts not again used until the 18th century.
A caldron with water in it was heated by fire and the steam generated was fed up and into a hollow spherical container with two spouts on each side. The exiting steam would spin the container at high speeds. We want to estimate the highest rotational speed using the little facts we have about this ingenious device developed almost two thousand years before it was rediscovered as the steam engine.
The spherical container has a radius of 0.2 m and mass of 10 kg. The two spouts can be considered massless but extend an additional 0.1 m above the surface of the container. The container is hollow and do not consider the moment of inertia of the steam contained inside.

a. What is the moment of inertia of this container?
b. If the pressure inside of the container reaches 1.5 atmospheres, what is the angular acceleration of the container? Take the area of the spouts to be circles of radius 0.010 m. Remember that outside pressure is 1 atm.
c. How much energy is stored by the steam inside the container?
d. If this energy were somehow completely converted into rotational kinetic energy, what would be the final angular velocity of the container?

Homework Equations

I = (2/3)MR^2 for spheres.
P = F/A
T = F * Perp Distance
T = Ia
E = 1/2Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I = (2/3)MR^2 because the problem assumes that the two spouts are massless. This gives me 0.27 kg * m^2

b. P = F/A
F = (1.5 atm - 1.0 atm)(pi(0.010m)^2)
Convert 0.5 atm to Pascals --> 50,662.5 Pa.
F = 15.9 N

Net Torque = 2(15.9N)(0.30m) = 9.5 N * m = Ia
Angular Acceleration = 9.5 N *m / 0.27 kg *m^2 = 35 rad/s^2

c. This is where I ran into trouble. I don't know how I could calculate this. I only know E = 1/2(Iw^2) but I feel like this is only considering kinetic energy, and doesn't help me with the heat energy and such of the steam.

d. I can simply plug in the answer for c into the Energy equation to solve for d. However, I am stuck on c.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
c) They only want to know how much energy is stored in the steam pressure. (eg ignore the thermal energy).

Energy = Δpressure x volume

d) Apply conservation of energy. They say to ignore the moment of inertia of the steam/water.

Sorry for all the edits to this reply.

Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
c) They only want to know how much energy is stored in the steam pressure. (eg ignore the thermal energy).

Energy = Δpressure x volume

d) Apply conservation of energy. They say to ignore the moment of inertia of the steam/water.

Sorry for all the edits to this reply.

Thanks for the response!

So, for c I got E = (50,662.5PA)(4/3 * pi (0.20m)^3) = 1700 J

And for D:
1700 J = 0.5Iw^2
w = sqrt(3400J / I)
I = 0.27 kg * m^2
W = 110 rad/s

1. What is the difference between pressure and energy?

Pressure is a measure of the amount of force applied over a given area, while energy is the ability to do work. Pressure is dependent on the amount of force and the area over which it is applied, while energy is a property of a system that can be transferred or converted into different forms.

2. How does pressure affect energy?

Pressure can affect energy by changing its form or causing it to transfer from one object to another. For example, increasing the pressure on a gas can cause it to compress and release energy in the form of heat.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does temperature affect pressure and energy?

Temperature has a direct relationship with pressure, as an increase in temperature will cause an increase in pressure (assuming the volume is constant). This is known as Gay-Lussac's Law. In terms of energy, temperature can affect the type of energy a system has, such as converting thermal energy to mechanical energy in a steam engine.

5. What are some real-life examples of pressure and energy problems?

Examples of pressure and energy problems can include calculating the pressure inside a tire, determining the amount of energy needed to compress a gas, or analyzing the pressure changes in a hydraulic system. Other examples can include studying the energy conversion in a power plant or analyzing the pressure changes in a diver's body while diving at different depths.