Pressure in Airplane: Understanding P=F/A

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about atmospheric pressure and whether a passenger could exert enough force to open a window on an airplane. The person is trying to calculate the required force using the equation P = F/A and converting atmospheric pressure from atm to kPa. The final conclusion is that it would be difficult for a human to exert enough force to open the window.
gills

Homework Statement

I know this is probably a very easy question, but I'm new to this and never worked with it before.

PHY131_chap15_42.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

so you have 0.25atm pressure going into the window from outside, and 0.75atm from inside pushing out.

Am i assuming that with 0.50atm more pressure coming inward from a person would equal the force of pressure pushing out and therefore any more than that would theoretically pull the window inward?

P = F/A

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. Figure out the force required to pull the window open. Is it likely that a passenger can exert such a force?

Doc Al said:
You're on the right track. Figure out the force required to pull the window open. Is it likely that a passenger can exert such a force?

Well, if I'm doing this right, it seems pathetically small, but I guess this is assuming there are no latches of some sort. Maybe i need to convert my dimensions?

so P = F/A ---> F = PA

so for F to be able to pull the window in, it must be [tex]\geq[/tex] (0.75 atm/(0.50 * 0.90).

If the outside pressure is 0.25atm, then only 0.50 more is required..(?)

so one must apply a force of (0.50atm) * (0.50 *0.90) = 0.225 N

I thinking the dimensions need to be converted?

What is atmospheric pressure?

at sea level 1 atm = 14.7 psi = 760mm mercury = 101.3 kPa...a ha, i need to use Pascals...?

0.50 atm x 101.3kPa = 50.65 kPa

50.65 kPa * (0.50 * 0.90) = 22.8 kN which is a lot for a human being. Looks good?

Looks good.

to me, that's a dumb questions.

Thanks again Al

Related to Pressure in Airplane: Understanding P=F/A

What is pressure in an airplane and why is it important?

Pressure in an airplane is the force applied by the air molecules on the surface of the airplane. It is important because it affects the aerodynamics and performance of the airplane, as well as the comfort of the passengers onboard.

How does pressure change in an airplane as it gains altitude?

As an airplane gains altitude, the pressure decreases. This is because the air becomes less dense at higher altitudes, meaning there are fewer air molecules per unit of area. This decrease in pressure can also be felt by passengers as their ears pop due to the change in air pressure.

What is the formula for pressure (P=F/A) and how is it related to the force and area in an airplane?

The formula for pressure is P=F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. In an airplane, this formula relates to the amount of force exerted by the air molecules on the surface of the airplane (F), and the area over which this force is distributed (A).

How does understanding pressure in an airplane help with airplane design?

Understanding pressure in an airplane is crucial for airplane design. By knowing how pressure changes with altitude and how it affects the airplane's performance, engineers can design airplanes that are more efficient and aerodynamic. They can also ensure that the pressure inside the airplane is at a comfortable level for passengers.

Can changes in pressure in an airplane affect the safety of the flight?

Yes, changes in pressure can affect the safety of the flight. Extreme changes in pressure, such as sudden depressurization, can cause discomfort, injury, or even death to passengers and crew. This is why airplanes are designed to maintain a safe and stable pressure throughout the flight.