Pressure in Cylinder following Piston engagement

In summary, the conversation discusses a real-life problem involving hydraulic fluid and a press cylinder, where the goal is to find the pressure in the black cylinder once the piston engages. The pressure is needed to determine a safe pressure level for the system. The conversation also provides information on the pressure of the hydraulic fluid, the dimensions of the main piston and the ram, and the temperature of the black cylinder. The conversation also mentions the design of the piston and thanks the listener for any suggestions or solutions. The expert summarizer notes that the pressure inside the black cylinder will be determined by the applied pressure from the piston, the net area, and potentially gravity.
ldu02167

Homework Statement

I have been passed the following problem in work - this is a real life question, and not a homework assignment. I'm hoping I have provided enough information for someone to help point me in the right direction - I'm really stuggling and would love any help you could offer!

Press.jpg

Hydraulic fluid is pumped into the Press Cylinder (Shown in Blue) forcing the Piston/Ram (shown in Red) down into another Cylinder (Shown in Black) that holds 10kg of a soft plastic. The soft plastic is then extruded through a die at the bottom of the cylinder.

I'm looking to find out the pressure in the black cylinder once the piston has engaged in the cylinder. This will be used to work out a Pressure (likely add 20%) that will cause the system to shut down as it will register as being 20% above the max pressure, and hence 'dangerous'.

- The pressure of the Hydraulic Fluid in the Press is 140Bar/14MPa.
- The Diameter of the Main Piston is 737mm
- The Stroke legnth of the Ram part of the piston is 1111mm
- At full stroke length, the distance (height) between the bottom of black cylinder and face of Ram is 22mm (the majority of the soft plastic has been extruded through the Die to reach this condition)
- The Temperature of the Black Cylinder with the soft plastic is 60 Degrees Celcius (assume no change in Temp.)
- The Diameter of the Ram part of the piston is 267mm
- The I/D of the black cylinder is 268mmThe "Piston" is almost two parts, with a main Piston & a Ram. The Ram is the small 'T' section that engages in the black cylinder and forces the plastic through the die. The large main piston is hollowed out to save weight, rather than being for any sort of performance.

Thanks again for any suggestions/tips/solutions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming an airtight seal between the piston & the black cylinder, pressure will be approximately per pV = nRT.

Equilibrium pressure will be reached when p inside the black cylinder stands off the pressure applied by the piston. The latter will be the applied pressure ph of the hydraulic source, multiplied by the NET area parallel to the piston's motion, plus gravity if the thing is vertical. So we have ph*A_net = p*A_piston - Mg, M = mass of piston.

I see from the picture that, fortunately, there is a lot more area providing downward as opposed to upward motion.

BTW should there not be a space instead of a blue line where the intake enters the blue cylinder? I'm assuming the piston will be completely surrounded by hydraulic fluid. If this is not so then my analysis is inapplicable.

Related to Pressure in Cylinder following Piston engagement

What is pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement?

Pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement refers to the force exerted by the gas or fluid inside the cylinder on the walls of the cylinder after the piston has been engaged. This pressure results from the compression of the gas or fluid by the piston, which leads to an increase in pressure within the cylinder.

Why does pressure increase in a cylinder after piston engagement?

Pressure increases in a cylinder after piston engagement because the piston compresses the gas or fluid inside the cylinder, reducing its volume. As a result, the same amount of gas or fluid is now occupying a smaller space, leading to an increase in pressure according to Boyle's Law.

What factors affect the pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement?

The pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement is affected by several factors, including the initial volume and temperature of the gas or fluid, the amount of force applied by the piston, and the type of gas or fluid being compressed. The properties of the cylinder, such as its material and size, can also impact the resulting pressure.

How is pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement measured?

Pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which is connected to the cylinder. The gauge measures the force exerted by the gas or fluid on a given area of the cylinder's walls, usually in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

What are some real-world applications of understanding pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement?

Understanding pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement is crucial in many industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It is used to optimize engine performance, design hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and ensure the safe and efficient operation of various machinery and equipment. Additionally, knowledge of pressure in cylinders can help in the development of new technologies and innovations in these fields.