Pressure in Cylinder following Piston Engagement

In summary: The pressure at which the system will shut down is 20% greater than the maximum pressure, which is 140Bar. I'm assuming you're using the work/formula P = (Pmax - Pshutdown) * 100 to calculate this. In summary, the pressure in the black cylinder is calculated to be 268mmHg.
ldu02167

Homework Statement

I have been passed the following problem in work - this is a real life question, and not a homework assignment. I'm hoping I have provided enough information for someone to help point me in the right direction - I'm really stuggling and would love any help you could offer!

Press.jpg

Hydraulic fluid is pumped into the Press Cylinder (Shown in Blue) forcing the Piston/Ram (shown in Red) down into another Cylinder (Shown in Black) that holds 10kg of a soft plastic. The soft plastic is then extruded through a die at the bottom of the cylinder.

I'm looking to find out the pressure in the black cylinder once the piston has engaged in the cylinder. This will be used to work out a Pressure (likely add 20%) that will cause the system to shut down as it will register as being 20% above the max pressure, and hence 'dangerous'.

- The pressure of the Hydraulic Fluid in the Press is 140Bar/14MPa.
- The Diameter of the Main Piston is 737mm
- The Stroke legnth of the Ram part of the piston is 1111mm
- At full stroke length, the distance (height) between the bottom of black cylinder and face of Ram is 22mm (the majority of the soft plastic has been extruded through the Die to reach this condition)
- The Temperature of the Black Cylinder with the soft plastic is 60 Degrees Celcius (assume no change in Temp.)
- The Diameter of the Ram part of the piston is 267mm
- The I/D of the black cylinder is 268mm

The "Piston" is almost two parts, with a main Piston & a Ram. The Ram is the small 'T' section that engages in the black cylinder and forces the plastic through the die. The large main piston is hollowed out to save weight, rather than being for any sort of performance.

Thanks again for any suggestions/tips/solutions!

Engineering news on Phys.org
it's almost 106Mpa

zhaohui said:
it's almost 106Mpa

Thanks for the reply Zhaohui - for verification purposes, could you supply some work or the formula you are using to reach this answer?

Huge thanks for your help!

What is pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement?

Pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement refers to the force per unit area exerted by the gas or fluid inside the cylinder as the piston moves and compresses it. This pressure is a result of the energy transferred from the piston to the gas or fluid.

How does pressure in a cylinder change during piston engagement?

As the piston moves and compresses the gas or fluid inside the cylinder, the pressure increases. This is because the same amount of gas or fluid is being confined to a smaller space, resulting in a higher force per unit area.

What factors affect pressure in a cylinder during piston engagement?

The pressure in a cylinder during piston engagement can be affected by several factors such as the size of the cylinder, the force exerted by the piston, the type and properties of the gas or fluid inside the cylinder, and the speed at which the piston moves.

How is pressure in a cylinder measured during piston engagement?

Pressure in a cylinder can be measured using a pressure gauge or a manometer. These devices measure the force exerted by the gas or fluid and convert it into a unit of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

What are the practical applications of understanding pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement?

Understanding pressure in a cylinder following piston engagement is important in various industries and fields such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It allows for the design and optimization of efficient and safe systems that utilize pistons and cylinders, such as engines and hydraulic systems.