Pressure loss in a water pipe

In summary: However, due to friction in the horizontal pipe, it will take longer for the second tank to reach the same level as the first tank compared to if there was no friction. In summary, the pressure difference between the two tanks will still drive the flow of water, but the friction in the horizontal pipe will cause the second tank to reach the same level as the first tank at a slower rate. Additionally, as the levels approach equilibrium, the flow rate and friction in the pipe will decrease until it becomes negligible.
Sameh soliman
TL;DR Summary
I know that water losses pressure as it move throw a pipe due to friction but what is the effect in the following situation
I know that water losses pressure as it move throw a pipe due to friction.

Does that mean that if we have two elevated tanks separated by a great distance but connected throw a perfectly horizontal pipe ,and then we fill the first tank with water till it reaches a certain hight, then the hight of water in the 2nd tank will not reach the same hight in the 1st tank because of pressure lose due to friction in the pipes ?

I am feeling that i am wrong , but i need an explanation

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, but with friction it will take longer than without.
The driving force for the flow is the pressure difference and the opposing force is the friction, which is approximately proportional to the flow squared. So as long as there is a level difference there will be flow to equalize it.

The friction in the horizontal pipe is a function of flow. At first, the flow in the pipe is high as the second tank tries to keep up with the filling of the first tank; friction will be high. The flow is a function of the differential pressure at each of the pipe ends caused by the difference in liquid height. As the levels start to reach equilibrium the flow rate in the pipe reduces...until it finally becomes only a small trickle. At this point, the friction in the pipe (resisting the flow), is approaching zero due to the reduced flow.
The two tanks will reach the same level when the pressure (caused by the height of the liquid) in the two tanks becomes equal.

1. What causes pressure loss in a water pipe?

Pressure loss in a water pipe can be caused by a variety of factors, including friction between the water and the inner surface of the pipe, changes in elevation, and obstructions or bends in the pipe.

2. How can I calculate pressure loss in a water pipe?

Pressure loss in a water pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, flow rate, and pipe length. Alternatively, pressure loss can also be measured using a pressure gauge.

3. What are the effects of pressure loss in a water pipe?

Pressure loss in a water pipe can lead to a decrease in water flow and pressure at the end of the pipe. This can result in slower filling times for fixtures, reduced water pressure for showers and faucets, and potential damage to appliances that require a certain water pressure to function properly.

4. How can I prevent pressure loss in a water pipe?

To prevent pressure loss in a water pipe, it is important to choose the right pipe size for the desired flow rate, minimize the number of bends and obstructions in the pipe, and properly maintain the pipe to prevent buildup of debris or corrosion.

5. What are some signs of pressure loss in a water pipe?

Signs of pressure loss in a water pipe include decreased water flow and pressure, unusual noises from the pipes, and visible leaks or damage to the pipes. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to address the issue promptly to prevent further damage and ensure proper water flow and pressure.