Pressure losses in electric air heater

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the pressure loss in an electric air heater and its effect on the mass flow rate and outlet velocity. The loss of 3kPa is determined to be static pressure and does not affect the mass flow rate. The outlet velocity is calculated using the Bernoulli equation and is expected to increase with the temperature rise.
kyle pender
I have an electric air heater with a pressure loss of 3kPa (according to manufacturer at the flow rate and temperature I will be using). Air is supplied to the heater using a centrifugal fan with a static pressure of 8.7kPa (gauge) and a flow rate of 88m3/hr, giving a dynamic pressure of around 95Pa.

My question is; will this loss of 3kPa be static, dynamic or a bit of both? I would like to calculate the outlet velocity after passing through the heater (using bernoulli equation) and I having difficulty without knowing what pressure to deduct the 3kPa from.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's the static pressure.

Likes russ_watters
How would this effect the mass flow rate leaving the heater? I was under the impression the 3kPa loss would result in some loss in mass flow (i.e. cannot assume mass flow rate across heater is constant). I have a means of measuring the heater inlet velocity but not outlet (especially when it is at operating temperature) so would like get at at least a general idea of the outlet velocity.

Ignoring the heating effects, i.e. running flow through heater when off:
Pstatic in =108.7kPa, Pstatic out=105.7kPa therefore Pstatic in-Pstatic out=3kPa
rho in = rho out =1.225kg/m3 (assumption made for simplicity)
velocity in = 12m/s

Using Bernoulli eqn.
velocity out=SQRT(velocity in^2+2(Pstatic in-Pstatic out)/rho)

After subbing in values I get, velocity out=71m/s...This seems really high, can you see any error in this logic?

This value will also only increase when I add the effect of the temperature rise on the air density.

Thanks

The volumetric flow rate across a heater changes because the air expands when heated. The mass flow rate stays the same because there is nowhere else for the mass to go.

What causes pressure losses in electric air heaters?

Pressure losses in electric air heaters are caused by a variety of factors, including the design and size of the heater, the type of heating element used, and the airflow rate. Other factors that can contribute to pressure losses include the buildup of debris or dust on the heating elements, improper installation, and inadequate insulation.

How do pressure losses affect the efficiency of electric air heaters?

Pressure losses can significantly impact the efficiency of electric air heaters. As pressure decreases, the airflow rate also decreases, which can result in longer heating times and increased energy consumption. High pressure losses can also cause the heater to work harder, leading to wear and tear and potential breakdowns.

What are some common signs of pressure losses in electric air heaters?

Some common signs of pressure losses in electric air heaters include reduced airflow, longer heating times, and increased energy consumption. You may also notice strange noises coming from the heater or uneven heating in different areas of the room. If you suspect pressure losses, it is best to have a professional inspect and troubleshoot the heater.

Can pressure losses be prevented in electric air heaters?

While pressure losses cannot be completely prevented, there are steps you can take to minimize their impact. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent the buildup of debris or dust on the heating elements. Proper installation and insulation can also help reduce pressure losses. It is essential to choose the right size and type of heater for your space to ensure optimal efficiency and minimize pressure losses.

How can pressure losses in electric air heaters be corrected?

If you are experiencing pressure losses in your electric air heater, it is best to consult a professional for proper diagnosis and correction. Depending on the cause of the pressure losses, the solution may involve cleaning or replacing heating elements, adjusting airflow rates, or making repairs to the heater. Regular maintenance and upkeep can also help prevent pressure losses from becoming a significant issue in the future.