Pressure of Bose-Einstein condensate

In summary, there is a difference between fermions and bosons, and cooled sodium or rubidium atoms, which behave like bosons, cannot occupy the same space due to their composition of fermions. Additionally, atomic BECs have a very low maximum density due to the tendency of alkali atoms to crystallize at low temperatures, making it difficult to avoid 3-body collisions and achieve a BEC.
SlowThinker
I was wondering, if cooled sodium or rubidium atoms behave as bosons, can they also occupy the same space?

I tried to google a bit, but as usual, articles throw letters like ##\beta##, ##s##, ##\lambda##, ##g## around without bothering to at least give them a name so I could search deeper. I hope this question can be answered without me becoming an expert on the subject...o0)
In particular, what is the maximum density a BEC can have, in theory (with pressure say 1MPa and temperature 0K), and in practice?

Physics news on Phys.org
SlowThinker said:
I was wondering, if cooled sodium or rubidium atoms behave as bosons, can they also occupy the same space?
No. After all, they are still made up of electrons being fermions. So they will behave something like hard-core bosons.

Likes SlowThinker
SlowThinker said:
In particular, what is the maximum density a BEC can have, in theory (with pressure say 1MPa and temperature 0K), and in practice?
Atomic BECs are very low density. What is the normal state of alkali atoms at some nK? Solid, of course. So the only way to get a BEC is to work in conditions where the atoms don't simply crystallize as you cool them down, which means that 3-body collisions are to be avoided, which can only be done with dilute gases.

Likes SlowThinker

What is Bose-Einstein condensate?

Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC) is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures. It is a collection of bosons, particles with integer spin, that have all collapsed into the same quantum state.

What is the significance of Bose-Einstein condensate?

BEC has many unique properties, such as superfluidity and coherence, which make it useful for studying quantum mechanics and understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic level. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and precision measurement.

How is Bose-Einstein condensate created?

BEC is created by cooling a gas of bosons to temperatures close to absolute zero, typically using lasers and magnetic fields. As the temperature decreases, the particles slow down and eventually collapse into the same quantum state, forming a BEC.

What is the pressure of Bose-Einstein condensate?

The pressure of a BEC is extremely low, near zero. This is because the particles are in the same quantum state and do not exert any repulsive forces on each other. However, the pressure can be controlled by adjusting the number of particles in the condensate.

What are some potential applications of Bose-Einstein condensate?

BEC has potential applications in quantum computing, precision measurement, and creating new types of matter. It is also being studied for its potential use in developing new technologies such as superconductors and sensors.