Pressure of gasoline in a closed container

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the partial pressure of gasoline when it evaporates and how to determine the critical pressure at which the evaporation rate equals the dissolving rate. It is mentioned that without tables of saturated vapor pressure of gasoline, it is difficult to find a definite answer to the question.
barryj
Homework Statement
A small amount of gasoline is placed in a 1 liter container along with the normal atmospheric pressure of 760 torr at 25C. Much but not all of the gasoline evaporates creating an increased pressure inside the container. At equilibrium, what will be the total pressure in the container?
Relevant Equations
pv = nrt P total = P atmosphere + P gasoline
If I knew how much of the gasoline evaporated, then I could use p = nRT/V to fine the partial pressure of the gasoline and add it to the pressure of the atmosphere. So my question is, How do I find how much of the gasoline will evaporate. I would think that the gasoline would evaporate until it reached some critical pressure at which time the evaporation rate would equal the disolving rate. but how do I find this? Is there some law I do not know about?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gasoline is a mixture of hydrocarbons, and it doesn't have a definite composition - so it is not like there is an unambiguous answer to the question.

There is not much you can do without tables of saturated vapor pressure of gasoline (or it most typical components) at 25°C.

1. What is the ideal pressure for gasoline in a closed container?

The ideal pressure for gasoline in a closed container varies depending on the specific type of gasoline and the temperature. However, it is generally recommended to keep the pressure between 5-7 psi.

2. How does temperature affect the pressure of gasoline in a closed container?

Temperature has a direct effect on the pressure of gasoline in a closed container. As the temperature increases, the pressure also increases. This is because the molecules of gasoline become more energetic and move around faster, causing an increase in pressure.

3. What happens if the pressure of gasoline in a closed container is too high?

If the pressure of gasoline in a closed container is too high, it can lead to a dangerous situation. The container may rupture or explode, causing harm to people and property. It is important to monitor and maintain the pressure within safe levels.

4. How can the pressure of gasoline in a closed container be measured?

The pressure of gasoline in a closed container can be measured using a pressure gauge. This device measures the force exerted by the gasoline on the walls of the container and displays it as a numerical value. Other methods include using a manometer or a pressure transducer.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when handling gasoline in a closed container?

When handling gasoline in a closed container, it is important to follow safety precautions to prevent accidents. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent buildup of fumes. It is also important to handle the container with care and avoid any potential sources of ignition.