Pressure, surface area and force in tire

In summary, the temperature in the tire suddenly rises. This would cause the contact surface area between the tires and the floor to decrease.
Kevin Shen
Assuming that the temperature in the tire suddenly rises.
My question is that would that cause the contact surface area between the tires and the floor increase, decrease, or stay the same?
(given that the volume of air in the tires is a constant and cannot be changed)
Also, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kevin, :welcome:

You familiar with the ideal gas law pV = nRT ?
According to that, the pressure would go up with T.
If the load doesn't change, and the load is approximately p*A (A the contact area), then that means A decreases.

Likes Kevin Shen
BvU said:
Hello Kevin, :welcome:

You familiar with the ideal gas law pV = nRT ?
According to that, the pressure would go up with T.
If the load doesn't change, and the load is approximately p*A (A the contact area), then that means A decreases.

No..I'm not very familiar with this equation, but I thought that A stays the same due to P=F/A, and so due to higher kinetic energy causing an increased force and pressure, P and F will rise proportionally so F1/P1=F2/P2 and the area is left unchanged...
Is this not right?

What is F ?

BvU said:
What is F ?
F is force

Why would that change ? e.g. for a car or bicycle tyre ?

BvU said:
Why would that change ? e.g. for a car or bicycle tyre ?

What I mean is that in a given volume like in a tire, when there is higher temperature due to P1/T1 = P2/T2, there will be higher pressure. And the higher pressure is caused by the larger momentum change when particles interact with the wall so that they create a higher force over the area. And hence if the pressure and force of the particles inside the same volume increases, I thought that wouldn't the surface area stay the same?

The surface area of the tyre stays more or less the same. But you were talking about the contact surface area. The load on the tyre is approximately Pressure times contact area.

Likes Kevin Shen and russ_watters
BvU said:
The surface area of the tyre stays more or less the same. But you were talking about the contact surface area. The load on the tyre is approximately Pressure times contact area.
BvU said:

Thanks again, but how do you calculate the contact surface area and know why it decreases?

If the tyre exerts a pressure on the ground that is equal to the internal pressure, then the force it exercises on the ground is that pressure times the contact surface area. The contact area normally doesn't accelerate in the vertical direction, so the ground pushes back with that same force (called the normal force).
There's a nice lady explaining this here

If p increases and the weight of the car stays the same, then the footprint decreases.

If you've ever put air into a flat tire, you can see this in action. You start with a huge squashed out contact area. Then, as air is pumped in the tire and wheel rise up and rest on a much smaller contact patch.

Likes russ_watters
Car and motorbike enthusiasts argue endlessly about contact patches of tyres. You hear race guys on the TV say wider tyres give more grip, and fast street cars always have wide tyres etc.

There are two relevant formulae. The one above A = F/P and the friction formula StaticFriction = kF where F is the normal force and in this case the weight of the vehicle. Simplistically the contact patch area depends only on the pressure in the tyre as the weight stays the same. For friction it is only the weight times some friction coefficient k. k for good tyres can be 1.4 or so, but this probably goes against intuition hence the arguments. The answers probably lay in the tyre construction. Thin tyres heat quickly and are mechanically weak, wide tyres can be made stronger so you can make them stickier, hence more grip.

I'm sure it is not that simple but I do think there is a lot of myth associated with tyres. Incidentally tyre data is extremely difficult to obtain probably for commercial reasons. One study I found had data varying considerably for different pressures.

Cheers

True, but I think we want to keep it as simple as possible...

The stiffness of a tire is also a factor in contact patch area. If a tire is stiff enough, it can run without any pressure (internal pressure equals ambient pressure); such tires are referred to as "run flat" tires.

cosmik debris said:
You hear race guys on the TV say wider tyres give more grip
A wider tire results in a contact patch better suited to handling lateral loads (less percentage deformation of the contact patch due to lateral loads), and the total surface area of the tread is a factor in dissipation of heat in a tire. Tires with weak sidewalls (called "wrinkle wall" tires), combined with lower pressure provide more contact area. Due to a load sensitivity factor with rubber, a larger contact patch results in a somewhat higher coefficient of friction, due to a decreased load per unit area.

rcgldr said:
Due to a load sensitivity factor with rubber, a larger contact patch results in a somewhat higher coefficient of friction, due to a decreased load per unit area.

I hoped you would reply as this is something I think about a bit. Can you elaborate on this last sentence, I don't quite get it?

rcgldr said:
Due to a load sensitivity factor with rubber, a larger contact patch results in a somewhat higher coefficient of friction, due to a decreased load per unit area.

cosmik debris said:
I hoped you would reply as this is something I think about a bit. Can you elaborate on this last sentence, I don't quite get it?
Wiki has an article about tire load sensitivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_load_sensitivity

The wiki article mentions the slip angle for peak lateral force at around 6 to 10 degrees for street tires, 3 degrees for Formula 1 tires. Indy Racing League tires, at least the ones used for high speed ovals, are the stiffest where the slip angle for peak lateral force is around 2 degrees.

Not mentioned is that a larger (wider) tire can be used to compensate for the load.

1. What is the relationship between pressure, surface area, and force in a tire?

The relationship between pressure, surface area, and force in a tire can be described by the equation: Pressure = Force / Surface Area. This means that as the force applied to the tire increases, the pressure inside the tire also increases. Similarly, as the surface area of the tire decreases, the pressure will also increase.

2. How does tire pressure affect the performance of a vehicle?

Tire pressure plays a crucial role in the performance of a vehicle. A properly inflated tire will provide better handling, stability, and fuel efficiency. On the other hand, an underinflated tire can lead to decreased handling, increased rolling resistance, and potential tire failure.

3. How is tire pressure measured and adjusted?

Tire pressure is typically measured using a pressure gauge and adjusted by adding or releasing air using an air pump. The recommended tire pressure for a vehicle can usually be found in the owner's manual or on a sticker located on the driver's side door jamb.

4. Can tire pressure affect the lifespan of a tire?

Yes, tire pressure can significantly impact the lifespan of a tire. Underinflated tires will wear out faster due to increased friction and heat, while overinflated tires can lead to uneven wear and potential blowouts. It is important to maintain the recommended tire pressure to ensure the longevity of your tires.

5. How does tire pressure change with temperature?

Tire pressure is affected by temperature changes due to the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. As the temperature increases, the pressure inside the tire will also increase. This is why it is essential to regularly check and adjust tire pressure during extreme temperature changes.