Pressure/Temperature mechanical equilibrium

In summary, the problem involves three thermally insulated containers of equal volume connected by thin tubes, initially at equal pressure and temperature. Two containers are then surrounded by heat reservoirs to maintain their temperatures at 2To and 2.3To while the third remains at To. The final pressure of the system is 1.55Po when mechanical equilibrium is reached. To solve this, the number of moles in each container must be determined using the initial pressure and temperature, and the total number of moles in the system must be considered. The individual pressures do not add together, as they are not partial pressures of a gas mixture.
AKJ1

1. Homework Statement

Three thermally insulated containers of equal volume are connected together by thin tubes of negligible volume so that gas can flow from one container to the next when a valve between them is open. Initially, the pressure and temperature in each container is at the same value Po and To, respectively.

The valves between the vessels are opened, and thermal insulation is removed from two of the vessels. Then two vessels are surrounded by heat reservoirs so that their temperatures are maintained at 2To and 2.3To while the third remains at To. What is the final pressure of the system when mechanical equilibrium is reached?

Homework Equations

P0/T0 = P1/T1 = P2/T2 ...[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Very stuck. Sorry for bad english

This problem was labeled in my text as a quick easy review, however I cannot seem to make any progress as to solve it. The answer given is 1.55Po.

My initial attempt was to work with PV=nRT, and try to relate the individual "new" pressures to their old pressures, then proceed to sum them up.

Meaning, I was told they each originally had P0/T0 , so for vessel one, I set this equal to
P1/2T0 . I did this for the remaining cases and solved the new pressures in terms of Po, however I soon got stuck and it didn't lead me anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
AKJ1 said:
Meaning, I was told they each originally had P0/T0 , so for vessel one, I set this equal to
P1/2T0 . I did this for the remaining cases and solved the new pressures in terms of Po
You're overlooking that gas flows from one to another, so n doesn't stay constant for each.
But n for the whole system is constant. Assign separate variables for the final molecular quantities in the three containers.

If I understand correctly, I need to also examine the change in n.

P0/(T0n0) =P1/(2T0nf1) =P2/(2.3T0nf2) =P3/(T0nf3)

Is this the necessary relationship? If so, I suppose I raise another question, is the sum of the individual pressures equal to the total pressure of the system once mechanical equilibrium is achieved?

I apologize for the many questions, I am trying to understand some of this material before the topics are introduced.

AKJ1 said:
I need to also examine the change in n.
Yes.
AKJ1 said:
is the sum of the individual pressures equal to the total pressure of the system once mechanical equilibrium is achieved?
These pressures don't add together, they're not partial pressures of a gas mixture. What will happen if the pressures are different? Is that equlibrium?

If V is the volume of each tank, what is the number of moles in each of the tanks to start with?

What is the total number of moles in the tanks to start with?

If P is the pressure in the three tanks in the final equilibrium state, what is the number of moles in each of the tanks at the end (in terms of P)?

What do the final number of in the three tanks have to add up to?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If V is the volume of each tank, what is the number of moles in each of the tanks to start with?

What is the total number of moles in the tanks to start with?

If P is the pressure in the three tanks in the final equilibrium state, what is the number of moles in each of the tanks at the end (in terms of P)?

What do the final number of in the three tanks have to add up to?

Chet

Each tank starts with n0, therefore, the total is 3n0. Also since the pressure in one tank is P0, this must also mean the pressure of the system (all tanks) is P0 ; I should be able to say the same for the temperature.

So, before anything happens, I have P0/(3n0T0) , assuming n0 represents the number of moles in each tank. Is what I have stated true?

If so, the other side of the expression will be straight forward for me.

AKJ1 said:
Each tank starts with n0, therefore, the total is 3n0. Also since the pressure in one tank is P0, this must also mean the pressure of the system (all tanks) is P0 ; I should be able to say the same for the temperature.

So, before anything happens, I have P0/(3n0T0) , assuming n0 represents the number of moles in each tank. Is what I have stated true?
No. Not even close. The number of moles of gas initially in each tank is, using your notation, ##n_0=\frac{P_0V}{RT_0}##. The total number of moles in the 3 tanks is
$$3n_0=3\frac{P_0V}{RT_0}$$

Chet

1. What is pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium?

Pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium is a state in which the pressure and temperature of a system are balanced and there is no net transfer of energy between the system and its surroundings.

2. How is pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium achieved?

Pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium is achieved when the system reaches a state of thermal and mechanical equilibrium, meaning that the temperature and pressure are constant throughout the system.

3. What factors affect pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium?

The factors that affect pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium include the properties of the system, such as the volume and number of particles, as well as external factors such as the presence of other substances or changes in temperature or pressure.

4. Why is pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium important in scientific experiments?

Pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium is important in scientific experiments because it ensures a stable and consistent environment, allowing for accurate and repeatable results. It also allows for the study of how different substances and conditions affect the equilibrium state.

5. How does pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium relate to other types of equilibria?

Pressure/temperature mechanical equilibrium is just one type of equilibrium that exists in physical systems. It is closely related to other types of equilibria, such as chemical equilibrium, where the concentrations of reactants and products are balanced, and thermal equilibrium, where the temperature is constant throughout the system.