Pressure Volume graph finding total mole of gas

In summary: I think that is the answer.In summary, the ideal monoatomic gas undergoes a cycle from 1.) V1 = 1m3, p1=2.5kPa, T1=200k to 2) V2=1m3, p2=7.5kPa then to 3)V3=3m3, p3=2.5kPA, and 4) back to 1). The number of moles of gas in the process is 1.5 moles. The missing temperatures at positions 2 and 3 are the same. The efficiency of this cycle is unknown, but can be compared to the efficiency of a Carnot cycle between the highest and lowest
cycrups

Homework Statement

An ideal monoatomic gas undergoes the following cycle:
from 1.) V1 = 1m3, p1=2.5kPa, T1=200k to 2) V2=1m3, p2=7.5kPa then to 3)V3=3m3, p3=2.5kPA, and 4) back to 1).

a. Sketch
b. How many mole of gas are in the process?
c. Give the missing temperatures at positions 2. and 3.
d. Find the efficiency of this cycle
e. Compare this efficiency with that of a Carnot cycle between the highest
and lowest temperatures reached in the above cycle.

The transition from 2 → 3 is a linear decrease of the pressure as a function of the
volume

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I drew the graph

http://imgur.com/7tSPE0k

for the first 1 I used n = PV/RT and got 1.5... moles. Now for the second one how should I do it when I have two unknowns. Knowing that from point 1) V1 = 1 and p1 = 2.5 to point 2) pressure changed and there is a linear line going down in the graph the Temperature is not the same in point one. Having two unknowns how to find number of moles in the second part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the idea is that the number of moles stays the same...so there is only one unknown

I do miss a question in you problem statement, though... What are you supposed to find from this cycle ?

BvU said:
I think the idea is that the number of moles stays the same...so there is only one unknown

I do miss a question in you problem statement, though... What are you supposed to find from this cycle ?
Ah Sorry I didn't write the whole question.
b. How many mole of gas are in the process?
c. Give the missing temperatures at positions 2. and 3.
d. Find the efficiency of this cycle
e. Compare this efficiency with that of a Carnot cycle between the highest
and lowest temperatures reached in the above cycle.

So, finding the temperature at point 2 is no longer a problem ?

BvU said:
So, finding the temperature at point 2 is no longer a problem ?
Yes it a no problem. I got them thanks! just the last question I don't know how to solve it

Well, I've seen the sketch, seen the 1.5 moles, so a) and b) are in the pocket.
I can kind of guess T2 but have no idea about T3 :)
So I wonder what came out of c) and d) ;)

For the Carnot cycle there is a clear efficiency expression, see e.g. here

BvU said:
Well, I've seen the sketch, seen the 1.5 moles, so a) and b) are in the pocket.
I can kind of guess T2 but have no idea about T3 :)
So I wonder what came out of c) and d) ;)

For the Carnot cycle there is a clear efficiency expression, see e.g. here
I got both for T2 and T3 same temperatures.

1. How do I interpret a pressure-volume graph to find the total number of moles of gas?

To find the total number of moles of gas from a pressure-volume graph, you can use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. Rearrange the equation to solve for n: n = PV/RT. Simply plug in the given values from the graph and solve for n.

2. Can I use a pressure-volume graph to find the total number of moles of gas at any temperature?

Yes, as long as the graph represents an ideal gas and the temperature is in Kelvin. The ideal gas law is valid for any temperature, as long as it is in Kelvin. Just be sure to use the correct value for R depending on the units used for pressure and volume.

3. What if the graph is not a straight line, can I still use the ideal gas law to find the total number of moles of gas?

No, the ideal gas law only applies to ideal gases, which have a linear relationship between pressure and volume. If the graph is not a straight line, then the gas is not ideal and the ideal gas law cannot be used. Alternative methods, such as the van der Waals equation, may be used to find the total number of moles of gas.

4. Do I need to know the initial or final temperature to find the total number of moles of gas from a pressure-volume graph?

No, the ideal gas law only requires the temperature to be constant. As long as the temperature is consistent throughout the process, you can use any value for temperature in the equation. However, it is important to note the units used for temperature and to use the correct value for R.

5. Can a pressure-volume graph be used to find the total number of moles of gas for a real gas?

It is not recommended to use a pressure-volume graph to find the total number of moles of gas for a real gas, as real gases do not follow the ideal gas law. The ideal gas law assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, which is not the case for real gases. It is best to use a different equation, such as the van der Waals equation, for real gases.