Preventing Egg Smashing: Strategies for a Safe Landing

In summary, the conversation is about a student in 8th grade (7th grade in the US) trying to prevent an egg from breaking when dropped from a height of 4 meters. The student is unsure if they need to calculate anything and is seeking advice on how to prevent the egg from breaking. The other person suggests using trial and error and thinking about what causes the egg to break and how people can prevent injuries from falling. The student thanks them for the advice.
zone32
Hello, I'm in 8th grade (In sweden, I think its 7th grade in US)
And I'm supposed to stop an Egg from smashing the ground, and we are dropping it about 4 meters above the ground.

Do I need to calculate anything in order to figure out how to stop it from breaking/smashing.
And If I do how do I calculate it?

I'm not very good at Physics so I'm having a little hard time explaining.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hej zone32,
:welcome:

You don't need to calculate anything, especially if you have access to a large supply of eggs: nothing beats trial and error :wink:

What you should think about is what is causing the egg to break (it is certainly not the fall itself, is it?). Think also about all the ways you know that someone falling has of not getting hurt.

Likes zone32
DrClaude said:
Hej zone32,
:welcome:

You don't need to calculate anything, especially if you have access to a large supply of eggs: nothing beats trial and error :wink:

What you should think about is what is causing the egg to break (it is certainly not the fall itself, is it?). Think also about all the ways you know that someone falling has of not getting hurt.
Alright thanks!

Related to Preventing Egg Smashing: Strategies for a Safe Landing

1. How can I prevent an egg from cracking when dropping it?

There are a few ways to prevent an egg from cracking when dropping it. One method is to lightly coat the egg in a layer of cooking oil or butter before dropping it. This creates a protective barrier that can absorb some of the impact. Another method is to place the egg inside a small bag filled with rice or beans, which can also help absorb the impact.

2. Why does an egg crack when dropped from a certain height?

When an egg is dropped from a height, it gains kinetic energy as it falls. When it hits a solid surface, the egg's kinetic energy is transferred into the surface, causing it to crack. The higher the height, the more kinetic energy the egg gains, making it more likely to crack upon impact.

3. Can I prevent an egg from cracking by freezing it?

No, freezing an egg will not prevent it from cracking when dropped. In fact, freezing an egg can actually make the shell more brittle and increase the chances of it cracking upon impact.

4. How can I safely drop an egg without it cracking?

One way to safely drop an egg without it cracking is to place the egg inside a container filled with a thick liquid, such as corn syrup or honey. The liquid will cushion the egg's fall and prevent it from hitting a solid surface. You can also try using a parachute or a cushioned landing pad to slow down the egg's fall.

5. Is there a specific angle or position I should drop an egg in to prevent it from cracking?

The angle and position at which an egg is dropped can affect its chances of cracking, but there is no one specific angle or position that will guarantee it won't crack. Generally, dropping the egg straight down onto a cushioned surface is the safest option, but you may need to experiment with different angles and positions to find what works best for you.