How can I improve my egg drop design using limited materials?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice for the classic egg drop competition at school and has limited materials. They plan to use a cone made of newspaper, but are unsure of how to prevent it from tilting or landing on the wrong end. They are also advised to start testing their design at low heights and learn from each failure.
Johnson Smith
Hey guys!

So I will be doing the classic egg drop competition at school and was wondering if I could get some help. The materials I have is :
3 sheets of newspaper
5 popsicle sticks
10 wooden skewers
1m of masking tape
hot glue

I have to drop an egg multiple times (not sure the heights yet though). I was thinking of just using the typical design of making a cone out of the sheets of newspaper, but any tips with that? Should I stuff the bottom of the cone with extra newspaper and masking tape? Also, is making sure the cone drops straight so it lands on the point an issue? If, so do you guys have any tips on keeping it from tilting? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnson Smith said:
Also, is making sure the cone drops straight so it lands on the point an issue?
What do you think? What do you reckon would happen if it turns upside down?

Whatever you decide to do, do it sooner than later. Don't wait till the night before. Fail early and often. From each failure, try to learn something (what broke and why, etc.) so you can improve your next design. Also: don't start out at a height of 10 meters and expect to learn anything. Do a sequence of drops at incrementally increasing altitudes (starting at a very low height) and record the fail height for each version of your design.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an egg drop competition?

An egg drop competition is a fun and educational STEM activity where participants design and construct a device that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

2. How does an egg drop competition work?

Participants are given a set of materials and a limited amount of time to design and build a device that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped. The devices are then tested by dropping them from a specific height and the one with the unbroken egg wins.

3. What materials can be used in an egg drop competition?

The materials used can vary, but common materials include straws, tape, balloons, foam, and cardboard. Some competitions may also have specific rules or restrictions on the materials that can be used.

4. What is the purpose of an egg drop competition?

The purpose of an egg drop competition is to encourage critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity in participants. It also allows for hands-on learning of concepts such as gravity, force, and motion.

5. Who can participate in an egg drop competition?

Egg drop competitions can be open to anyone, but they are commonly seen in school settings for students of all ages. They can also be used as team-building activities in workplaces or as fun challenges for families or groups of friends.