Preventing super-long Lagrangian in triple+ pendulums

• Thread starter ellipsis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary: Each pendulum involves two degrees of freedom, one for the angle and one for the angular velocity.Therefore, a system of n pendulums will have 2n degrees of freedom.In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of Lagrangian mechanics and numerical simulation to find equations of motion for n-pendulum systems. The speaker has found equations for n=1, 2, and 3 pendulums, but struggles to simplify the equations for n=4 and above. They have tried using Cartesian coordinates, but it only results in more complex equations. The other person suggests using small angle approximations or normal modes, but the speaker is more interested in seeing how pendulums really work. The conversation also touches
ellipsis
Hey all.

I've been experimenting with Lagrangian mechanics (and numerical simulation of physical systems), and I've come across a problem.

By finding the Lagrangian, then using the Euler-Lagrange formula, I can find equations of motion (in generalized angular coordinates with respect to the vertical) for n-pendulums. Here are a few I've found:

n = 1.
$$
\boxed{
{\ddot{\theta}} = -\frac{g \sin (\theta)}{L}
}
$$
n = 2.
$$
\boxed{
{\ddot{\theta}_1} = \frac{-{L_1} {m_2} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 \sin (2 {\theta}-2 {\theta_2})-2 {L_2} {m_2} {\dot{\theta}_2}^2 \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_2})-g {m_2} \sin ({\theta}-2 {\theta_2})-2 g {m_1} \sin ({\theta})-g {m_2} \sin ({\theta})}{{L_1} (-{m_2} \cos (2 {\theta}-2 {\theta_2})+2 {m_1}+{m_2})}\\

{\ddot{\theta}_2} =-\frac{{L_1} {\ddot{\theta}_1} \cos ({\theta}-{\theta_2})-{L_1} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_2})+G \sin ({\theta_2})}{{L_2}}
}
$$
n = 3.
$$
\small{
{\ddot{\theta}_1} = -\frac{2 {m_2} \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_2}) \left(({m_2}+{m_3}) \left({L_1} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 \cos ({\theta}-{\theta_2})+{L_2} {\dot{\theta}_2}^2\right)+{L_3} {m_3} {\dot{\theta}_3}^2 \cos ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3})\right)+g \sin ({\theta}) (-{m_1} {m_3} \cos (2 ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3}))+{m_1} (2 {m_2}+{m_3})+{m_2} ({m_2}+{m_3}))+g {m_2} ({m_2}+{m_3}) \sin ({\theta}-2 {\theta_2})}{{L_1} (-{m_2} ({m_2}+{m_3}) \cos (2 ({\theta}-{\theta_2}))-{m_1} {m_3} \cos (2 ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3}))+{m_3} ({m_1}+{m_2})+{m_2} (2 {m_1}+{m_2}))}
}
$$

$$
\small{
{\ddot{\theta}_2} =\frac{-2 {m_3} \sin ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3}) \left({L_1} {\ddot{\theta}_1} \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_3})+{L_2} {\dot{\theta}_2}^2 \cos ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3})+{L_3} {\dot{\theta}_3}^2\right)-2 {L_1} {m_2} {\ddot{\theta}_1} \cos ({\theta}-{\theta_2})+{L_1} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 ((2 {m_2}+{m_3}) \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_2})-{m_3} \sin ({\theta}+{\theta_2}-2 {\theta_3}))-G ({m_3} \sin ({\theta_2}-2 {\theta_3})+(2 {m_2}+{m_3}) \sin ({\theta_2}))}{{L_2} (-{m_3} \cos (2 ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3}))+2 {m_2}+{m_3})}
}
$$

$$
\small{
{\ddot{\theta}_3} =-\frac{{L_1} {\ddot{\theta}_1} \cos ({\theta}-{\theta_3})-{L_1} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 \sin ({\theta}-{\theta_3})+{L_2} {\ddot{\theta}_2} \cos ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3})-{L_2} {\dot{\theta}_1}^2 \sin ({\theta_2}-{\theta_3})+G \sin ({\theta_3})}{{L_3}}
}
$$

These pendulums have rigid, massless rods. There is no joint or air friction. As you can see, these coordinates result in... large expressions.

I've automated this process using Mathematica, but the resulting equations are too large to simplify for pendulums n=4 and above (Quadruple and above).

Is there any coordinate change or other simplification I can do to keep this solvable? If I do this in Cartesian coordinates instead, might that help?

When N gets larger, solving the system of Euler-Lagrange equations (to find the actual equations of motion) becomes difficult (4 equations, 4 unknowns, and above).

I've tried formulating a n=1 pendulum in Cartesian coordinates, but I get spring pendulum systems instead. How do I enforce the condition x^2+y^2=L^2 in a natural manner, when calculating the Lagrangian?

Thanks for any insight given,
ellipsis

Physics news on Phys.org
First, these are not that bad. It's about as simple as you can get given the complexity of the system.
Second, you can get rid of the trig by using small angle approximations. Whether this is simpler or not is a matter of taste.
Third, if you know the normal modes, using them as your generalized coordinates won't make the expressions simpler, but this will make the subsequent math simpler.

Likes ellipsis
Vanadium 50 said:
First, these are not that bad. It's about as simple as you can get given the complexity of the system.
Second, you can get rid of the trig by using small angle approximations. Whether this is simpler or not is a matter of taste.
Third, if you know the normal modes, using them as your generalized coordinates won't make the expressions simpler, but this will make the subsequent math simpler.
Thanks for your response!

The small angle approximation is not something I'm interested in (All of this is due to wanting to see how pendulums really work), but I'll keep that in mind.

Do you know anything about calculating equations of motion in Cartesian coordinates?

I think using Catersians will not simplify this. You are going from an N dimensional problem to a 2N dimensional problem with N constraints - three times as many elements.

I want to see how a pendulum system with, say, n=100 works. There has to be a way to "generalize" the behavior of one component of a pendulum given the components it is immediately attached to.

With 100 pendula, you're going to have 100 degrees of freedom. With 100 degrees of freedom, you're going to have hundreds of terms in your Lagrangian.

Vanadium 50 said:
With 100 pendula, you're going to have 100 degrees of freedom. With 100 degrees of freedom, you're going to have hundreds of terms in your Lagrangian.

How is it the case people simulate arbitrary mass-spring systems, then? I'm considering taking the approach of approximating pendulums by springs with arbitrarily high spring constants, but the problem becomes 'stiff' in that case, and requires low time-steps.

A hundred terms in my Lagrangian is fine. As of now, it's more like O(n^2) number of terms in my Lagrangian...

ellipsis said:
How is it the case people simulate arbitrary mass-spring systems, then? I'm considering taking the approach of approximating pendulums by springs with arbitrarily high spring constants, but the problem becomes 'stiff' in that case, and requires low time-steps.

A hundred terms in my Lagrangian is fine. As of now, it's more like O(n^2) number of terms in my Lagrangian...

The pendula are non-linear oscillators.
For small angles, they are approximately linear.

1. What is a triple+ pendulum?

A triple+ pendulum is a type of pendulum system that consists of three or more pendulums connected to each other. This creates a complex and highly nonlinear system, making it a popular subject of study in the field of chaos theory.

2. Why is preventing super-long Lagrangian important in triple+ pendulums?

Super-long Lagrangian refers to the phenomenon where the pendulum swings back and forth for an extended period of time without coming to a stop. This can cause instability and unpredictable behavior in the system, making it difficult to analyze and control. Hence, preventing super-long Lagrangian is crucial for understanding and predicting the dynamics of triple+ pendulums.

3. How can super-long Lagrangian be prevented in triple+ pendulums?

One way to prevent super-long Lagrangian in triple+ pendulums is to introduce damping, which is the dissipation of energy from the system. This can be achieved through adding friction or air resistance to the pendulum joints. Another approach is to design the pendulum lengths and masses in a way that minimizes the chances of super-long Lagrangian occurring.

4. What are the practical applications of studying triple+ pendulums?

Studying triple+ pendulums can provide insights into the behavior of complex systems, which can be applied to various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. For example, understanding the dynamics of triple+ pendulums can help in designing stable and efficient structures for buildings or bridges.

5. What challenges are involved in preventing super-long Lagrangian in triple+ pendulums?

One of the main challenges in preventing super-long Lagrangian in triple+ pendulums is the high level of complexity and nonlinearity in the system. This makes it difficult to accurately predict and control the behavior of the pendulums. Additionally, finding the optimal design parameters for preventing super-long Lagrangian can be a time-consuming and computationally intensive process.