Preview does not compile Latex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter SchroedingersLion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with the "preview" feature not showing compiled Latex equations when writing a thread. This requires the thread to be posted and edited multiple times to correct the errors, which can be annoying for readers. It is suggested that this is due to the feature not loading unless there is already some Latex on the page. A potential solution is suggested to use the F5 key. This issue has been previously discussed and a post with further information is linked.
SchroedingersLion
Hi people,

not sure whether I am the only one but when using the "preview" feature after writing up a thread, it does not show the compiled Latex equations. This means I have to post the thread first and correct the various Latex errors via multiple edits (which is not a problem for me, but it certainly is annoying for people that start to read the thread).

Using Firefox 104.0 (64-bit) for Ubuntu if that matters...

SL

Likes yucheng
Physics news on Phys.org
It's likely the fact that it won't load unless there is already some latex on the page. This is to help with performance, but I'm going to look into fixing this soon, thanks for the note.

Likes Saracen Rue, I like Serena, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
F5 helps.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Likes berkeman and SchroedingersLion

1. Why is my Latex code not compiling in Preview?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error in your Latex code, such as a missing bracket or a misspelled command. Another possibility is that you are using incompatible packages or document classes. It is also possible that your Preview program is outdated and not compatible with the Latex version you are using.

2. How can I find and fix errors in my Latex code?

The best way to find and fix errors in your Latex code is to carefully review your code and check for any spelling or syntax errors. You can also use a Latex debugger or compiler to identify errors and get suggestions for how to fix them. Additionally, many online forums and support groups have experts who can help you troubleshoot specific errors.

3. Can incompatible packages or document classes cause Latex to not compile in Preview?

Yes, using incompatible packages or document classes can cause Preview to not compile your Latex code. Make sure to check the compatibility of the packages and document classes you are using with your Latex version and Preview program. If they are not compatible, try using alternative packages or document classes.

4. How can I update my Preview program to be compatible with Latex?

To update your Preview program, you can check for updates in the App Store (for Mac users) or in the Microsoft Store (for Windows users). If there is an update available, make sure to install it. If there are no updates available, you may need to switch to an alternative Latex preview program that is compatible with your Latex version.

5. What can I do if none of the above solutions work and my Latex code still does not compile in Preview?

If none of the above solutions work, you can try switching to a different Latex preview program that is known to be compatible with your Latex version. Alternatively, you can try reinstalling your Preview program or updating to a newer version of Latex. If the issue persists, consider seeking help from online forums or Latex experts for further assistance.