Probability all balls are white.

In summary, Bayes' theorem is a theorem in probability that shows how Bayes' law works. Given the probability that a certain event will happen, Bayes' law tells us the probability of multiple events that are related to the first event. In this case, the problem statement asks for the probability of all five cases being the same, which is impossible to calculate without a priori information.
Swetasuria

Homework Statement

A bag contains 4 balls. Two balls are drawn at random, and are found to be white. What is the probability that all balls are white?

2. Relevent equations
At school, I'm currently learning Bayes' theorem, probability disribution and Bernoulli trials.

The Attempt at a Solution

The 4 balls can be
1) all white
2) 3 white, 1 non-white
3) 2 white, 2 non-white
4) 1 white, 3 non-white
5) all non-white

P(all white)=1/5

But given, two balls taken at random are white.

I can't figure out what to do next. When I ignore the 2 white balls, I get the answer as 1/3 which is wrong according to my textbook.

[Edit]: I got it!
A-2 balls taken are white
E1-4W
E2-3W, 1Non-white
E3-2W, 2N
E4-1W, 3N
E5-4N

P(E1/A)= {P(E1)P(A/E1)} / {P(E1)P(A/E1)+...+P(E5)P(A/E5)}

={1/5*1} / {1/5*1 + 1/5*3C2/4C2 + 1/5*2C2/4C2 + 1/5*0 + 1/5*0}
=3/5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Swetasuria said:
P(all white)=1/5
Does the problem statement say that all 5 cases have the same probability?
Otherwise, you cannot know this.

I'm not too good at this, so may have it wrong, but it seems to me that once you have pulled 2 balls and they are white, what you have is a situation where you have 2 balls (remaining) and you want to know what are the odds that they are both white.

This assumes that the starting condition becomes irrelevant once you draw the first two, and that's where I may be going wrong, though I don't think so.

As Bayes showed, the problem is not solvable without plugging in some a priori probabilities. E.g. you could argue that, by and large, bags of balls tended to be, about equally often say, mixed colours or all the same colour. This would be for reasons related to why balls are put in bags in the first place.
Another reasonable choice says each ball is independently white or non-white, but since there are many possible colours these might not be with prob 1/2. Let's say a ball is white with prob p. Now we find that drawing two white balls tells us nothing about the remaining two (as phinds surmised). The prob that they are both white is p2.

1. What is the probability that all the balls in a bag are white?

The probability of all balls in a bag being white depends on the number of balls in the bag and the number of white balls. For example, if a bag has 10 balls and 8 of them are white, the probability of all balls being white is 8/10 or 0.8.

2. How do you calculate the probability of all balls being white?

To calculate the probability of all balls being white, you need to divide the number of white balls by the total number of balls. This is known as the classical or theoretical probability. In the case of multiple events, the probability can also be calculated using the multiplication rule.

3. Is there a difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Yes, there is a difference between theoretical and experimental probability. Theoretical probability is based on the assumption that all outcomes are equally likely, while experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations. Theoretical probability is used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability is used to describe what has already happened.

4. Can the probability of all balls being white be greater than 1?

No, the probability of all balls being white cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability of an event happening can never be more than certain. A probability of 1 means that the event is certain to occur, while a probability of 0 means that the event is impossible. Therefore, the probability of all balls being white must fall between 0 and 1.

5. What factors can affect the probability of all balls being white?

The probability of all balls being white can be affected by the number of balls in the bag, the number of white balls, and whether the selection of balls is done with or without replacement. For example, the probability of all balls being white will decrease if more balls are added to the bag or if white balls are removed. Additionally, selecting balls without replacement will decrease the probability of all balls being white compared to selecting with replacement.