Probability and I have a question about standard deviation.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard deviation in determining a suitable range for distance data and the relation between a standard deviation graph and the data. The conversation also mentions the use of Chebyshev's inequality in determining the probability that all data falls within a certain range of the mean. Excel is mentioned as a tool for plotting the standard normal distribution curve, but the speaker is unsure how to relate this graph to their data to see the deviation. They also inquire about the meaning of h, which is clarified as the number of standard deviations on either side of the mean.
agus
I have a question about standard deviation. If I have a hundred of distance data, how can I use standard deviation to choose a suitble range of the distance. What is the relation between standard deviation graph and my data. I can plot a graph using mean and std of the data, but do not know how to relate that graph to my data.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do YOU mean by "a suitable range"? What do YOU mean by "standard deviation graph"? HOW are you drawing a "graph using mean and std of the data"? A graph of what?

Perhaps you are trying to decide what range you should use in a graph of your data- TCebyshev's inequality might apply here. The probability that all data are between the mean minus h times the standard deviation and the mean plus h times the standard deviation is 1- 1/h2.

Thank You very much HallsofIvy
I used excel to plot the standard normal distribution curve using mean and std of the data. But, I don't know how relate this graph with my data to see the deviation of the data. I want to see what is the deviation of data.Or the propability that the data are in a certain value between the mean.

Code:
The probability that all data are between the mean minus h times,1- 1/h2.

What is h?

tq

Exactly what I said it was! h is the number of standard deviations on either side of the mean you are including in your graph.

Related to Probability and I have a question about standard deviation.

1. What is the difference between probability and standard deviation?

Probability and standard deviation are both measures of uncertainty, but they represent different aspects of uncertainty. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of a particular event occurring, while standard deviation is a measure of the spread of a set of data around its mean.

2. How is probability related to standard deviation?

Probability and standard deviation are related in that they both involve measuring uncertainty. Standard deviation is used to calculate the probability of a particular outcome occurring in a normal distribution. In other words, the higher the standard deviation, the greater the uncertainty in the data and the lower the probability of a specific outcome.

3. Can you explain how to calculate standard deviation?

To calculate standard deviation, first find the mean of the data set. Then, for each data point, subtract the mean and square the result. Find the sum of all of these squared differences, and divide by the total number of data points. Finally, take the square root of this result to find the standard deviation.

4. What is the importance of standard deviation in statistics?

Standard deviation is an important measure in statistics because it allows us to understand the spread of data around the mean. It helps us to understand the variability of a data set and to make comparisons between different data sets. It is also a key component in many statistical tests and analyses.

5. How is standard deviation used in real-life situations?

Standard deviation is used in many real-life situations, such as in finance to measure risk and in quality control to measure the consistency of a product. It is also used in research and data analysis to understand the variability of data and to make conclusions about a population based on a sample. Additionally, standard deviation is used in sports to measure the performance of athletes and teams.