Understanding the Interpretation of Z-Scores: Insights and Examples

• B
  • Thread starter bhargavsws
  • Start date
bhargavsws
TL;DR Summary
How do z-scores work, and what information do they provide about a data point in a distribution? Additionally, how can I interpret a z-score in terms of its relationship to the mean and standard deviation?
I've been exploring the concept of z-scores and would like a deeper understanding of their practical application. I used a z-score calculator (https://zscorecalculator.org) for a dataset with a mean of 75 and a standard deviation of 8. One of my data points has a z-score of -2.5. Can you walk me through the interpretation of this specific z-score? How does it relate to the mean and standard deviation, and what insights does it offer about the position of this data point in the distribution? Any detailed explanation or example would be incredibly helpful in solidifying my understanding of z-scores.

Physics news on Phys.org
The z-score is the number of standard deviations of the sample point from the mean. So your example point is 2.5 standard deviations (std dev=8) below the mean (mean=75).
Based on the text in the link you gave, I would be skeptical of the calculations and would check them. They are dividing the sample standard deviation by ##\sqrt n##. I think the text is wrong but the calculation might still be correct, I didn't check it.
I would be more confident of the calculations in this for the sample standard deviation and then this for the z-score. At least the text in those websites is correct. If you get the same results there as you got from your website, then yours is also doing a correct calculation even though the text is wrong.

CORRECTION: I see what your website was doing. The parts that I thought had wrong text were evaluating the sample mean, not a single sample point. Their text might be correct.

Last edited:
For your particular sample with a -2.5 z-score, you can use the website I gave to see what the probabilities of that (or more extreme) are, assuming that you are dealing with a normal distribution. For -2.5, it gives the results below. Keep in mind that if you have a lot of sample data, you are likely to see some extreme cases.
1705998267492.png

FactChecker said:
The z-score is the number of standard deviations of the sample point from the mean. So your example point is 2.5 standard deviations (std dev=8) below the mean (mean=75).
Based on the text in the link you gave, I would be skeptical of the calculations and would check them. They are dividing the sample standard deviation by ##\sqrt n##. I think the text is wrong but the calculation might still be correct, I didn't check it.
Hi,

The question is not regarding finding z-score probabilities. I want to know the interpretation of the specific z-score and how it is defined on a graph. Probabilities and interpretation both are different things.

I am not sure what you are looking for. As @FactChecker mentioned the interpretation of a z score of -2.5 is that the data point is smaller than the mean by an amount equal to 2.5 times the standard deviation. For a normally distributed variable 98.8% of the values will be closer to the mean than that. There really isn’t any deeper interpretation.

Likes bhargavsws and FactChecker
bhargavsws said:
Hi,

The question is not regarding finding z-score probabilities. I want to know the interpretation of the specific z-score and how it is defined on a graph. Probabilities and interpretation both are different things.
The statistical meaning is fairly simple. The importance of a particular z-score depends on the subject matter. Only a subject matter expert can really interpret the result and it might not depend so much on the z-score as on something particular for that subject.

Likes bhargavsws and Dale

What is a Z-score and how is it calculated?

A Z-score is a statistical measurement that describes a value's relationship to the mean of a group of values. It is calculated by subtracting the mean of the dataset from the value in question and then dividing the result by the standard deviation of the dataset. This calculation results in a score that indicates how many standard deviations an element is from the mean.

What does a Z-score tell you in practical terms?

In practical terms, a Z-score indicates how far and in what direction a data point deviates from the mean, measured in terms of standard deviations. A Z-score of 0 means the score is identical to the mean, while a positive Z-score indicates a value higher than the mean, and a negative Z-score signifies a value lower than the mean. This helps in understanding how extreme or typical a particular value is within a distribution.

How can Z-scores be used to identify outliers?

Z-scores are particularly useful in identifying outliers within data. Typically, data points with Z-scores less than -3 or greater than +3 are considered outliers. These scores show that the data points are substantially different from the rest of the data, being more than three standard deviations away from the mean.

Can Z-scores be used for all types of data?

Z-scores are most effective for data that is normally distributed. For data that is not normally distributed, the Z-score may not provide a meaningful insight into the data's characteristics, such as its outliers or its conformity to the mean. In such cases, other statistical methods or transformations might be more appropriate to understand the data.

Are there any limitations to using Z-scores?

Yes, there are several limitations to using Z-scores. One major limitation is that they assume the data follows a normal distribution. If the data is skewed or has a heavy-tailed distribution, the Z-score might not accurately reflect the extremeness of a data point. Additionally, Z-scores are sensitive to small sample sizes, which can lead to misleading interpretations. Therefore, it's important to consider the nature of the data and the size of the dataset when using Z-scores.