Probability and Voting: Covariance of Republican and Democratic Votes

Your Name] In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the covariance of the number of votes the Republican receives and the number of votes the Democrat receives in a town with r+1 Republicans and d+1 Democrats. The solution involves using the fact that the votes are independent and using the definition of covariance to find the desired value.
Kalinka35

Homework Statement

In a town there are r+1 Republicans and d+1 Democrats. There is a Republican candidate and a Democratic candidate, both of whom will vote for themselves. Aside from them, a Republican voter will vote for a Democrat with probability pRD and a Democrat will vote for a Republican with probability pDR. Assume the voters behave independently.
What is the covariance of the number of votes the Republican receives and the number of votes the Democrat receives?

Homework Equations

Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y)

The Attempt at a Solution

I let X=votes for Republican, Y=votes for Democrat.
I got that E(X)=1+d*pDR + r(1-pRD) and
E(Y) = 1+r*pRD + d(1-pDR)
But how do you get E(XY). I was thinking of representing X as a sum of Bernoulli's (1 if the vote is for the Republican, 0 if for the Democrat), but I still don't see how I would get E(XY) with that approach.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

To calculate E(XY), you can use the fact that the votes for the Republican and Democrat are independent and that a Bernoulli random variable has a variance equal to its probability of success. Therefore, you can write:

E(XY) = E(X)E(Y) + Cov(X,Y)

Since the votes are independent, E(X)E(Y) = (1+r*pRD + d(1-pDR))(1+d*pDR + r(1-pRD)) = 1 + r*pRD + d*pDR + r*d*pRD*(1-pRD) + r*d*pDR*(1-pDR)

Next, you can use the definition of covariance to write:

Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) = 1 + r*pRD + d*pDR + r*d*pRD*(1-pRD) + r*d*pDR*(1-pDR) - (1+r*pRD + d(1-pDR))(1+d*pDR + r(1-pRD))

Simplifying this expression will give you the covariance of the number of votes the Republican receives and the number of votes the Democrat receives.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Probability and Voting: Covariance of Republican and Democratic Votes

1. What is the relationship between probability and voting?

Probability and voting are closely related as probability is a way to measure the likelihood of an outcome, while voting is a way to express a preference for a particular outcome. In voting, each candidate or option has a certain probability of winning based on the number of votes they receive.

2. How is probability used in predicting election outcomes?

Probability is used in predicting election outcomes by analyzing past voting data and conducting surveys to estimate the likelihood of a particular candidate winning. This can help to inform voters and strategists on the potential outcome of an election.

3. Can probability be used to determine the accuracy of election results?

Yes, probability can be used to determine the accuracy of election results. By calculating the margin of error and confidence intervals, we can assess the likelihood that the reported results accurately reflect the true outcome of the election.

4. How does the voting system affect the use of probability in elections?

The voting system can have a significant impact on the use of probability in elections. For example, in a first-past-the-post system, where the candidate with the most votes wins, probability can accurately predict the winner. However, in a proportional representation system, where seats are allocated based on the percentage of votes received, probability can be used to estimate the number of seats each party is likely to win.

5. Are there any limitations to using probability in voting?

While probability can be a useful tool in predicting and analyzing election outcomes, it is important to note that it is not a perfect science. Probability is based on assumptions and can be affected by factors such as sampling error, bias, and external influences. It is important to use probability in conjunction with other methods of analysis and to continuously evaluate and adjust the data as new information becomes available.