Probability - Combinatorics

In summary, when calculating the number of possible hands in a deck with 40 cards, where there are two of each for each of the 4 suits and each hand consists of 10 cards, we can use combinations to group the same numbers together and then calculate the number of combinations of different numbers in a hand. This approach does not distinguish the actual card, only its face value. Alternatively, we can think of it as the number of pairs and the number of non-pairs, and use the formula Sigma from (r=0 to r=1) (2 choose 1-r)(1+r choose 2r) to calculate the number of possible hands.
brojesus111
Let's say we have a deck with 40 cards. There are two of each for each of the 4 suits: 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace. Each hand consists of 10 cards.

Given that each pair is technically the same (one 10 of hearts is not distinguishable from the other 10 of hearts), how would one calculate the number of possible hands?

You can't just do (40 choose 10) given my last statement.

I know that if I were just doing the number of possible orderings of the deck, I could do (40!)/(2!^20), but I don't think I can apply the same method to when I'm choosing a hand of 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey brojesus111 and welcome to the forums.

One thing you can do is to group all the same numbers together and then use combinations to get the number of combinations of different numbers in a hand and then for each of these, look at these groups and see how many possibilities you have for each number.

So as an example, let's say you have three different types of numbers: you take a combination of 10C3 but once you have done this, you look at the variation within these possibilities: for example if you restrict only three types of numbers then you can have say the following internal number configurations: (1,1,3) and (1,2,2).

This will not distinguish what the actual card is: only it's face value.

chiro said:
Hey brojesus111 and welcome to the forums.

One thing you can do is to group all the same numbers together and then use combinations to get the number of combinations of different numbers in a hand and then for each of these, look at these groups and see how many possibilities you have for each number.

So as an example, let's say you have three different types of numbers: you take a combination of 10C3 but once you have done this, you look at the variation within these possibilities: for example if you restrict only three types of numbers then you can have say the following internal number configurations: (1,1,3) and (1,2,2).

This will not distinguish what the actual card is: only it's face value.

Thanks.

I ended up thinking of it as the number of pairs and the number of non-pairs.

Let's say we have AA and BB and we want to choose 2. We have 3 possible hands: AA, AB, BB.

So Sigma from (r=0 to r=1) (2 choose 1-r)(1+r choose 2r).

(2 choose 1)(1 choose 0) + (2 choose 0)(2 choose 2) = 2+1 = 3

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation is the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combination is the selection of objects without regard to order.

2. How is probability calculated for a combination?

The probability of a combination is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the formula for calculating factorial in combinatorics?

The formula for calculating factorial in combinatorics is n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...(3)(2)(1), where n is the number of objects in a set.

4. How do you use the binomial coefficient in combinatorics?

The binomial coefficient is used to calculate the number of combinations of k objects from a set of n objects, denoted as nCk or "n choose k". It is calculated using the formula nCk = n! / (k!(n-k)!).

5. What is the principle of inclusion-exclusion in probability?

The principle of inclusion-exclusion is a method for calculating the probability of a union of events. It states that the probability of the union of two or more events is equal to the sum of their individual probabilities minus the probability of their intersection.