Probability density in statistical Mechanics

In summary, the partition function Z is calculated using the integral of e^-βH and the probability of one particle being in a certain radius is found by integrating the probability density function, which is given by 1/Z * 2πL * (2mπh^2β)^3/2 * e^(βmrω^2/2) * r. To find the number of particles in a radius, you just need to integrate the probability density and multiply it by the total number of molecules in the system.
Kosta1234
Homework Statement
calculating the probability density of a particle being in a radius $r=r_0$ in a rotating cylinder. ($\omega, R, L$ are the frequency, radius, and height of the cylinder)
Relevant Equations
$$Z=\sum_i{exp(-\beta*H(q,p))}$$
First of all, I've calculated the partition function:Z=1h3∫e−βH(q,p)d3pd3q=1h3∫e−β(p22m−12mrω2)d3prdrdθdz=2πL(2mπh2β)3/2e12βmω2R2−1ω2mβThe probability of being of one particle in radius $r_0$ is:
p(r=r0)=1Z∫e−βHd3pd3q=∫1Z2πL(2mπh2β)3/2eβmrω22rdr

So I've thought that because, by definition, the probability is the integral over the probability density:
p(r=r0)=∫f(r)dr
The probability density will the integrand above:

f(r)=1Z2πL(2mπh2β)3/2eβmrω22r0

Am I right here?
Plus, If I am right, and I want to know the number of the particles $n(r)$ in radius $r_0$, am I need just to integrate to find the probability, and then multiply it by the number of total molecules in the system?
n(r)=N⋅∫f(r)dr

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct. The probability density is given by the integrand of the probability. To find the number of particles in a certain radius, you just need to integrate the probability density and then multiply it by the total number of molecules in the system.

1. What is probability density in statistical mechanics?

Probability density in statistical mechanics is a measure of the likelihood of a particular state occurring in a physical system. It is represented by a function that assigns a probability to each possible state of the system.

2. How is probability density related to statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, probability density is used to describe the distribution of particles or energy in a system. It is a fundamental concept that allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system based on statistical principles.

3. What is the difference between probability density and probability?

Probability density is a continuous function that describes the likelihood of a particular state occurring, while probability is a discrete value that represents the chance of a specific event happening. Probability density is used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of states, while probability is used in classical mechanics to describe the likelihood of a specific outcome.

4. How is probability density calculated in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, probability density is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution, which takes into account the energy levels and degeneracy of a system. It is also influenced by the temperature and the number of particles in the system.

5. What is the significance of probability density in statistical mechanics?

Probability density is a crucial concept in statistical mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a system based on statistical principles. It helps us understand the distribution of particles or energy in a system and make predictions about the macroscopic properties of the system.