Probability distribution momentum for particle

In summary, the probability distribution for the momentum of a particle with mass m is given by: ## \Phi (p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,0) \cdot e^{-ipx} dx##
renec112

Homework Statement

A particle with mass m is moving on the x-axis and is described by
## \psi_b = \sqrt{b} \cdot e^{-b |x|}##
Find the probability distribution for the particles momentum

Homework Equations

## \Phi (p)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \Psi(x,0) \cdot e^{-ipx} dx##

The Attempt at a Solution

I just inserted ## \Psi(x,0) \ ## and had a go
## = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty \sqrt{b} \cdot e^{-b |x|} \cdot e^{-ipx} dx##
move constants out
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-b |x|} \cdot e^{-ipx} dx##
combine ##e##
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-b |x| -ipx} dx##
split integral by
## | x| = \begin{cases} \mbox{x,} & \mbox{if } x>0 \\ \mbox{-x,} & \mbox{if } x <0 \end{cases} ##
so we have
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\int_{-\infty}^0e^{b x -ipx} dx + \int_{0}^\infty e^{-b x -ipx} dx) ##
perform integration
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} ([\frac{e^{b x -ipx}}{ip/t - b}]_{-\infty}^0 + [\frac{e^{-b x -ipx}}{ip/t-b}]_0^{\infty}) ##
evaluating these integrals fails i get
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{ip/t - b} - \frac{1}{ip/t - b}) = 0 ##

Can you spot my mistakes? would love some input.

Physics news on Phys.org
renec112 said:
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\int_{-\infty}^0e^{b x -ipx} dx + \int_{0}^\infty e^{-b x -ipx} dx) ##
perform integration
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} ([\frac{e^{b x -ipx}}{ip/t - b}]_{-\infty}^0 + [\frac{e^{-b x -ipx}}{ip/t-b}]_0^{\infty}) ##
Check the denominators.

Likes renec112
DrClaude said:
Check the denominators.
Thanks!
I just had a look and i see it should be:
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/t + b} - \frac{1}{-ip/t - b}) ##
Giving me
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/t} + \frac{1}{-ip/t } + \frac{1 }{b}-\frac{1}{b}) ##
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (-2\frac{1}{-ip/t} ) ##
## = -2 \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} \frac{t}{ip} ##
Taking the norm squared to get the probability distribution:
## = 4 \frac{b}{2 \pi} \frac{t^2}{p^2} ##

Seems legit to me, but i am not sure.

renec112 said:
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/t + b} - \frac{1}{-ip/t - b}) ##
Giving me
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/t} + \frac{1}{-ip/t } + \frac{1 }{b}-\frac{1}{b}) ##
What is ##t##? And ##1/(a+b) \neq 1/a + 1/b##.

Likes renec112
DrClaude said:
What is ##t##? And ##1/(a+b) \neq 1/a + 1/b##.
Thanks for the reply!
Oh off course not.. My blunder..
t is time - are you thinking about finding an expression for t and substituting it?

renec112 said:
t is time - are you thinking about finding an expression for t and substituting it?
No, I just don't understand why are introducing time in the picture. You are Fourier transforming a function from ##x## to ##p##, that's it.

Likes renec112
DrClaude said:
No, I just don't understand why are introducing time in the picture. You are Fourier transforming a function from ##x## to ##p##, that's it.
Okay this is embarrassing. It was suppose to be a ##\hbar##, but when i wrote from my notes to latex i thought it was a ##t##

renec112 said:
Okay this is embarrassing. It was suppose to be a ##\hbar##, but when i wrote from my notes to latex i thought it was a ##t##
Then it should also appear in the exponential: ##e^{-i p x / \hbar}##.

Likes renec112
Right, so i have:
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/\hbar + b} - \frac{1}{-ip/\hbar - b}) ##

Guess there's not much to do - you think taking the norm squared here is a reasonable idea?

Thanks for helping me out.

renec112 said:
Right, so i have:
## = \sqrt{\frac{b}{2 \pi}} (\frac{1}{-ip/\hbar + b} - \frac{1}{-ip/\hbar - b}) ##

Guess there's not much to do
Find the common denominator and add the two terms together.

Likes renec112
DrClaude said:
Find the common denominator and add the two terms together.
Off course! Thanks for being so patient with me. Now it works out :)

1. What is probability distribution momentum for particle?

The probability distribution momentum for particle is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the likelihood of a particle having a certain momentum. It is represented by a probability distribution function, which assigns a probability to each possible value of momentum for the particle.

2. How is probability distribution momentum for particle calculated?

The probability distribution momentum for particle is calculated by taking the square of the wave function of the particle, which represents the probability amplitude, and then normalizing it. This results in a probability distribution function that represents the likelihood of the particle having a certain momentum.

3. What is the significance of probability distribution momentum for particle in quantum mechanics?

The probability distribution momentum for particle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It is used in various calculations and equations, and helps us to understand the probabilistic nature of quantum particles.

4. How does probability distribution momentum for particle relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. The probability distribution momentum for particle is related to this principle, as it shows that the more certain we are about the momentum of a particle, the less certain we are about its position, and vice versa.

5. Can probability distribution momentum for particle be experimentally observed?

No, the probability distribution momentum for particle cannot be directly observed as it is a mathematical concept. However, it can be indirectly observed through experiments that measure the position and momentum of particles, and the results can be compared to the predicted probability distribution.