Probability is square of amplitude or it's product with complex conjugate?

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about whether probability is the square of probability amplitude or the product of amplitude with its complex conjugate. The source cited, HyperPhysics, states that it is the product with complex conjugate. However, the results of squaring and multiplying with complex conjugate are different. The group ultimately agrees that probability is a real number and the confusion may stem from the absolute value of probability amplitude, which is the length of the vector in the complex plane, not the square.
zonde
Gold Member
I have seen discussion about it here but it is still not clear to me whether probability is square of probability amplitude or is it product of amplitude with it's complex conjugate.
I looked in HyperPhysics http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/quantum/qm.html#c5" and it says it's product with complex conjugate but I'm still not sure.

Because square and product with complex conjugate give different results.
(a+ib)^2=a^2-b^2+2iab
but (a+ib)(a-ib)=a^2+b^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zonde said:
I have seen discussion about it here but it is still not clear to me whether probability is square of probability amplitude or is it product of amplitude with it's complex conjugate.
I looked in HyperPhysics http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/quantum/qm.html#c5" and it says it's product with complex conjugate but I'm still not sure.

Because square and product with complex conjugate give different results.
(a+ib)^2=a^2-b^2+2iab
but (a+ib)(a-ib)=a^2+b^2

I think that probability is a real number number. If you take the square of a complex number, (a+ib)^2 you obtain a new complex number a^2-b^2+2iab. However, the product
(a+ib)(a-ib)=a^2+b^2, produces a real number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aganju3009,
that should be so.
And I think I start to understand from where comes my confusion about amplitude squared thing.
In wikipedia it says: "In quantum mechanics, a probability amplitude is a complex number whose absolute value squared represents a probability or probability density."
So it's not probability amplitude squared but absolute value of probability amplitude i.e. |(a+ib)|^2. And absolute value of complex number would be length of the vector in complex plane i.e. square root from (a^2+b^2).

Related to Probability is square of amplitude or it's product with complex conjugate?

1. What is the meaning of probability being the square of amplitude or its product with complex conjugate?

In quantum mechanics, the probability of a particle being in a certain state is represented by its wave function. The square of the amplitude of the wave function at a particular point is equal to the probability of finding the particle at that point. Alternatively, the probability can also be calculated by multiplying the wave function by its complex conjugate.

2. How is the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state, which gives us information about its position and momentum. Therefore, it is related to the uncertainty principle.

3. Can probability be negative when using the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate?

No, probability cannot be negative when using the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate. The square of a number is always positive, and the complex conjugate of a number changes the sign of its imaginary part, but not its real part. Therefore, the product will always be positive.

4. How is the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state. This is because the wave function of a particle contains information about its position, momentum, and other properties, and the square of amplitude or the product with complex conjugate helps us extract this information.

5. What is the difference between the square of amplitude and the product with complex conjugate?

The square of amplitude and the product with complex conjugate are two different ways of calculating the probability of a particle being in a certain state. The square of amplitude is equal to the probability itself, while the product with complex conjugate gives us the probability multiplied by its complex conjugate, which can provide additional information about the particle's properties, such as its phase.