Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First

In summary, the probability that the first Beatles song heard is the fifth song played in a playlist with 100 songs, 10 of which are by the Beatles, is calculated by multiplying the probabilities of selecting 4 non-Beatles songs out of the first 4 songs and 1 Beatles song out of the fifth song, and dividing by the total number of ways to select 5 songs from the playlist. This can also be written as the permutation of 90 non-Beatles songs taken 4 at a time multiplied by the permutation of 10 Beatles songs taken 1 at a time, divided by the permutation of 100 songs taken 5 at a time.
Cade

Homework Statement

A particular iPod playlist contains 100 songs, 10 of which are by the Beatles. What is the probability that the
first Beatles song heard is the fifth song played?

Homework Equations

Combinatorics: permutation, combinations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The number of desired outcomes for the event is:
90*89*88*87 (choose 4 of 90 songs that aren't Beatles)
* 10 (choose 1 song that is Beatles)

The sample space is:
100*99*98*97*96 (choose 5 of 100 songs from the playlist)

The correct answer is (90*89*88*87*10)/(100*99*98*97*96).

How would I solve this problem using the formulae for combinations? I tried it this way, but the answer was incorrect: C(90,4)*C(10,1)/C(100,5)

As I understand it, the order within the non-Beatles set is irrelevant, but using P(90,4)P(10,1)/P(100,5) works. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org

Cade said:

Homework Statement

A particular iPod playlist contains 100 songs, 10 of which are by the Beatles. What is the probability that the
first Beatles song heard is the fifth song played?

Homework Equations

Combinatorics: permutation, combinations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The number of desired outcomes for the event is:
90*89*88*87 (choose 4 of 90 songs that aren't Beatles)
* 10 (choose 1 song that is Beatles)

The sample space is:
100*99*98*97*96 (choose 5 of 100 songs from the playlist)

The correct answer is (90*89*88*87*10)/(100*99*98*97*96).

How would I solve this problem using the formulae for combinations? I tried it this way, but the answer was incorrect: C(90,4)*C(10,1)/C(100,5)

As I understand it, the order within the non-Beatles set is irrelevant, but using P(90,4)P(10,1)/P(100,5) works. What am I missing?

In this problem the order is important, so combinations are misleading or downright incorrect. Rather than using canned formulas, I prefer to think directly about such problems: the first song must be any of the 90 non-beatles songs, then the second one must be any of the 89 remaining non-beatles songs, etc.

RGV

How do you recognize that order is important in this problem? Could songs 1-4 not be any of the 90 non-Beatles song?

Or, have I misunderstood the question, and is the question actually asking ways entire the playlist can be ordered that the first Beatles song is #5?

Cade said:
How do you recognize that order is important in this problem? Could songs 1-4 not be any of the 90 non-Beatles song?

Or, have I misunderstood the question, and is the question actually asking ways entire the playlist can be ordered that the first Beatles song is #5?

Read the question again. It said the first Beatles song is song #5. Yes, indeed, songs 1-4 are any of the 90 non-beatles songs (presumably played only once, not repeated); that is exactly what I said in my first reply.

RGV

I meant, for songs 1-4, given that they are non-Beatles, does individual order within the set of non-Beatles matter?

There are 100 songs, 10, or 10%, of which are Beatles songs. The probabilty the first song is not a Beatles song is 90/100= 9/10. That leaves 99 songs for the second song, 89 of which are not Beatles songs. The probabilty that second song is not a Beatle song is 89/99. Similarly, the probability the third and fourth songs are not Beatles songs is 88/98 and 87/97. The probability that the fifth song is a Beatle's song is 10/96. The probability that the fifth song is the first Beatles song is (90/100)(89/99)(88/98)(87/97)(10/96) just as you say. Now, we can write that numerator, 90(89)(88)(87)(10) as [tex](90!/86!)(10)= (_{90}P_{86})(10)[/tex] and the denominator 100(99)(98)(97)(96) as [tex]100!/95!= _{100}P_{95}[/tex]. Therefore, we can write the probability as [tex]\frac{_{90}P_{86}(10)}{_{100}P_{95}}[/tex]. I don't know that there is any benefit to writing it that way.

Cade said:
I meant, for songs 1-4, given that they are non-Beatles, does individual order within the set of non-Beatles matter?

No, the order of songs 1-4 does not matter.

RGV

Oh, I see. Thanks for your help, I understand the problem now.

1. What is the "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First"?

The "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First" is a mathematical concept that calculates the likelihood of hearing the 5th song by The Beatles before any other song by the band.

2. How is the "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First" calculated?

The probability is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes where the 5th song is heard first by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction or percentage.

3. What factors influence the "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First"?

The main factor that influences the probability is the order in which songs are played. Other factors may include the length of each song, the number of songs in the playlist, and the probability of each song being played.

4. Is the "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First" the same for everyone?

No, the probability may differ from person to person depending on their individual playlist, listening habits, and preferences. It is also possible for the probability to change over time as new songs are added to the playlist.

5. Can the "Probability of Hearing the 5th Beatles Song First" be applied to other bands or artists?

Yes, the concept of probability can be applied to any group of songs by any band or artist. The specific probability will depend on the factors mentioned earlier, such as the order of songs and the length of each song.