Probability Theory: Need help understanding a step

In summary, the proof shows that X, Y, and Z are mutually independent if and only if they are each conditionally independent given the other two.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Discrete random variables ##X,Y,Z## are mutually independent if for all ##x_i, y_j, z_k##,
$$P(X=x_i \wedge Y=y_j \wedge Z=z_k ) = P(X=x_i)P(Y=y_j)P(Z=z_k )$$

I am trying to show (or trying to understand how someone has shown) that ##X,Y## are also independent as a result of ##X,Y,Z## being mutually independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It starts of with
$$P(X=x_i \wedge Y=y_j ) = \sum_k P(X=x_i \wedge Y=y_j \wedge Z=z_k )$$
before going using the definition of mutual independence for the three variables to complete the proof. This is the step I don't understand. Why is the probability of getting results ##x_i,y_j## equal to the sum (over ##k##) of probabilities of getting results ##x_i, y_j, z_k##?

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for a probability of some case A. You then need to add up the probabilities for all outcomes where A is true, in this case that X and Y take particular values. This is true independent of Z whenever X and Y take the correct values so you end up with a sum over the possible outcomes for Z.

WWCY said:
Why is the probability of getting results ##x_i,y_j## equal to the sum (over ##k##) of probabilities of getting results ##x_i, y_j, z_k##?

It's as @Oroduin said - and the concept is significant enough to have its own name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_total_probability.

Rather than being a "law of nature", it is implicit in the definition of a probability space, which depends on the definition of a probability "measure", whose definition says it is an "additive" function when applied to disjoint measureable sets. That's an outline of the mathematical structure, which is not made clear by the Wikipedia article.

Likes Orodruin
Stephen Tashi said:
It's as @Orodruin said - and the concept is significant enough to have its own name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_total_probability.

Rather than being a "law of nature", it is implicit in the definition of a probability space, which depends on the definition of a probability "measure", whose definition says it is an "additive" function when applied to disjoint measureable sets. That's an outline of the mathematical structure, which is not made clear by the Wikipedia article.
Well said (and a bit more direct than I managed on my phone this morning). In general, I think the connection between probability theory and the measure theory is typically underemphasised in introductory courses on probability (at least for non-mathematicians). Also, just for OP's reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measure_(mathematics)

This seem to be a re-cut of a recent thread that I answered, here https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/independent-events-and-variables.954016/#post-6047400

I tried to emphasize the role of events and (sub) additivity, but if OP did not understand the event partitioning (and union) argument, then introducing measures... is a step in the wrong direction. And it certainly is not needed for discrete random variables.
- - - - -
another approach is to unpack the joint probability into multiplicative conditional probability. Ignoring any nits about zero probability events, we have the identity

##P\Big(X=x_i, Y=y_j, Z= z_k\Big) = P\Big(X=x_i\Big)P\Big(Y=y_j \big \vert X = x_i\Big)P\Big( Z= z_k\big \vert X = x_i, Y = y_j \Big)##

But we need to recall that conditional probabilities are in fact probabilities, so summing over all ##k##

##\sum_k P\Big(X=x_i, Y=y_j, Z= z_k\Big) ##
##= \sum_k P\Big(X=x_i\Big)P\Big(Y=y_j \big \vert X = x_i\Big)P\Big( Z= z_k\big \vert X= x_i, Y= y_j\Big) ##
##= P\Big(X=x_i\Big)P\Big(Y=y_j \big \vert X = x_i\Big)\cdot \sum_k P\Big( Z= z_k\big \vert X= x_i, Y= y_j\Big) ##
##= P\Big(X=x_i\Big)P\Big(Y=y_j \big \vert X = x_i\Big)\cdot 1 ##
##=P\Big(X=x_i\Big)P\Big(Y=y_j \big \vert X = x_i\Big)##
##=P\Big(X=x_i, Y=y_j\Big)##

as desired

Thanks for the responses.

I did not think to apply the law of total probability for the case of variables. Now I see the connection.

@StoneTemplePython I did manage to grasp the idea behind your proof in the other thread, but couldn't do so for the method (just that step) presented above, hence the question. Thanks again for your time!

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random phenomena and the likelihood of different outcomes occurring. It provides a framework for understanding and predicting the likelihood of events based on prior knowledge and assumptions.

2. How is probability theory used in science?

Probability theory is used in many scientific fields, including biology, physics, and psychology. It is used to model and analyze uncertain events and make predictions about the likelihood of different outcomes. It is also used in statistical analysis to interpret data and draw conclusions about the population.

3. What are the key concepts in probability theory?

The key concepts in probability theory include events, sample space, probability, and random variables. Events are outcomes or sets of outcomes that may occur. The sample space is the set of all possible outcomes. Probability is a numerical measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. Random variables are variables that can take on different values with a certain probability.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual observations or data. Theoretical probability is used to predict the likelihood of events occurring, while experimental probability is used to analyze and draw conclusions from real-world data.

5. How can I better understand a step in probability theory?

To better understand a step in probability theory, it can be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and use diagrams or visual aids to represent the problem. It is also important to have a solid understanding of the key concepts and formulas in probability theory. Seeking help from a tutor or studying examples can also aid in understanding complex steps.