Problem 10.30 (with Hints) - Mastering Physics - Rotational Inertia

In summary: Yes, the distance is from one vertice to the midpoint of the length, which is 27.5cm, that ends up giving me the correct answer. Thanks for clearing that up for me!
savva

Homework Statement

Three 2.30kg masses are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle 55.0cm on a side, connected by rods of negligible mass.

Find the rotational inertia, I_2, of this object about an axis that passes through one vertex and the midpoint of the opposite side

Homework Equations

y'=ay/a
x'=ax/a
I=[itex]\Sigma*mr^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I had to solve this problem with the axis passing through the centre of the triangle for part one. I did this by finding the centroid of the whole triangle along the y-axis y'=15.9cm and then finding the distance to each vertice of the triangle which was the same. Then applying
I=[itex]\Sigma[/itex]mr to give me the rotational inertia for that part.

My problem here on this question is that I'm not sure what the distance is from the axis that passes through one vertex to the midpoint of the opposite side.

Where is the midpoint of the opposite side more particularly, I don't know how to interpret this?

I tried drawing a line from the vertex of the bottom left corner to the centroid of the right hand triangle of the other side (right hand side and then apply c=[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex] to get the the distance but this was incorrect!

If anyone can help me understand what the question means by midpoint of the other side so I can understand what distance I need to calculate then I will be in good stead.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can only guess you are drawing a much more complicated picture than you need to. The midpoint is halfway between the two vertices of the side. Since you have an equilateral triangle, doesn't that mean that the axis is perpendicular to the opposite side? Isn't the distance to the axis just half of the length of the side?

Dick said:
I can only guess you are drawing a much more complicated picture than you need to. The midpoint is halfway between the two vertices of the side. Since you have an equilateral triangle, doesn't that mean that the axis is perpendicular to the opposite side? Isn't the distance to the axis just half of the length of the side?

Yes, the distance is from one vertice to the midpoint of the length, which is 27.5cm, that ends up giving me the correct answer. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

1. What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is analogous to mass in linear motion, and depends on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. How can I calculate rotational inertia?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object's mass. In more complex cases, such as objects with irregular shapes, you may need to use calculus to calculate the rotational inertia.

3. What is the difference between rotational and translational inertia?

Rotational inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while translational inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion. In other words, rotational inertia is a property of rotating objects, while translational inertia is a property of objects in motion.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect an object's rotational inertia?

The greater the distribution of mass in an object, the greater the object's rotational inertia will be. This means that objects with more mass concentrated towards their edges will have a higher rotational inertia than objects with the same mass but a more compact shape.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is an important concept in many fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design stable structures, such as buildings and bridges, and to understand the movements of objects in space. In sports, rotational inertia plays a role in activities such as figure skating, diving, and gymnastics.