Problem 16.1 of Ashcroft and Mermin, assignment (b)

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary, the homework equation states that the change in height of a column of water is equal to the weight of the column of water multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am stuck in solving problem 16.1b in the attachment there's a pic with the question itself.

Homework Equations

$$(16.9) \bigg( \frac{dg(k)}{dt}\bigg)_{coll}= - \frac{[g(k)-g^0(k)]}{\tau(k)}$$
$$(13.21)g(k,t)=g^0(k)+\int_{-\infty}^t dt' \exp(-(t-t')/\tau(\epsilon(k)))\bigg(-\partial f / \partial \epsilon\bigg) \times v(k(t'))\cdot \bigg[ -eE(t')-\nabla\mu(t')-\frac{\epsilon(k)-\mu}{T}\nabla T(t')\bigg]$$.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have:
$$(dH/dt)_{coll} = \int dk/(4\pi^3)h(k)[-(g(k)-g^0(k))]/\tau(k)$$
Not sure how to continue from here.

I mean I am supposed to choose ##\mu(r,t)## and ##T(r,t)## that will yield an equilibrium value of ##H## equal to $$(16.33) H=\int dk/(4\pi^3)h(k)g(k)$$
I am clueless how to continue from here.

ANy takers?
problem 16.1.png

Attachments

• problem 16.1.png
    problem 16.1.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you possibly please post your solution to 161.a? It looks like once solution to 16.1a is completed, then the solution to 16.1b will be a modification of the solution to 16.1a

Dukon said:
Can you possibly please post your solution to 161.a? It looks like once solution to 16.1a is completed, then the solution to 16.1b will be a modification of the solution to 16.1a
Are you sure?
I am not even sure my solution is correct, but here goes nothing.

We have: $$(dH/dt)_{coll} = -\int dk/(4\pi^3)h(k)\bigg[ \int dk'/(2\pi)^3\{W_{k,k'}g(k)(1-g(k'))-W_{k',k}g(k')(1-g(k))\}\bigg]$$
Let's change variables in the second integral between ##k\leftrightarrow k'## and use the fact that ##h(k)=h(k')## to get that the second term is the same as the first, and because its a difference between the two, the RHS is zero.

What is Problem 16.1 of Ashcroft and Mermin?

Problem 16.1 of Ashcroft and Mermin is a question that appears in the textbook "Solid State Physics" written by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin. It is a question that asks students to calculate the density of states for a two-dimensional free electron gas in a square well potential.

What is the purpose of assignment (b) in Problem 16.1?

The purpose of assignment (b) in Problem 16.1 is to challenge students to think critically and apply their understanding of the density of states concept to a specific scenario. This assignment requires students to use mathematical equations and principles to solve a problem and deepen their understanding of the topic.

What background knowledge is needed to solve Problem 16.1 assignment (b)?

To solve Problem 16.1 assignment (b), students should have a solid understanding of basic concepts in solid state physics, such as the density of states, Fermi energy, and energy levels in a square well potential. They should also have a strong grasp of mathematical equations and principles, such as integration and differentiation.

What is the significance of Problem 16.1 in the study of solid state physics?

Problem 16.1 is a fundamental question in the study of solid state physics that introduces students to the concept of density of states and its application in a specific scenario. It also helps students develop their problem-solving skills and enhance their understanding of the behavior of electrons in a two-dimensional system.

How can Problem 16.1 assignment (b) be applied in real-world situations?

The principles and concepts used in Problem 16.1 assignment (b) can be applied in various real-world situations, such as understanding the behavior of electrons in thin films or nanoscale devices. It can also be used in the design and analysis of electronic devices, such as transistors and solar cells.