Ashcroft and Mermin's problem 13.4.

In summary: E(t')-\nabla \mu(t')] e^{i\omega t} = F_1(\omega) - F_2(\omega)$$where F_1(ω) and F_2(ω) are the Fourier transforms of the two terms within the integral. Now, we can substitute these terms back into the original equation to get:$$g(r,k,t) = F(k) - F_{
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I need some help on how to solve this problem.

I am attaching the problem:
[![enter image description here][1]][1]
[![enter image description here][2]][2]

For item (a) in the problem, I think I need to use eq. (13.21)
in the following pic:
[![enter image description here][3]][3]

I think I need to Fourier transform equation (13.21) but don't see how exactly to get the form in equation (13.77).

What I mean is that:
$$g(r,k,t)=\int g^0(k)e^{i\omega t}d\omega + \int \int_{-\infty}^t d\omega dt' e^{-(t-t')/\tau(\epsilon(k))}(-\partial f /\partial \epsilon) \times v(k(t'))[-eE(t')-\nabla \mu(t')] e^{i\omega t}$$
I think I need to use here the identity: $g^0(k)=f(k)-f_{coll}$, but to tell you the truth I don't know how to proceed from there?

For (b), the induced current is ##j = -nev(k)$, so if $q\cdot j(q,\omega) = -ev(k)\cdot q \Re(i\partial n_{eq}(\mu)/\partial \mu \delta \mu (q,\omega)e^{i(q\cdot r -\omega t)}) = -\partial \rho /\partial t = -e\omega\Re(\partial n_{eq}/\partial \mu \delta \mu(q,\omega)ie^{i(q\cdot r -\omega t)})##; so by equating terms I get the condition ##v(k)\cdot q =\omega##, but I didn't use equation (13.77) for item (b), so perhaps I am wrong here?

For (c), just plug in (13.77) the fact there's no induced charge i.e that $\rho=0$ which means that ##\delta \mu(q,\omega)=0##.
But how to show that a sufficient condition for (13.79) to be valid is that the electric field be perpendicular to a plane of mirror symmetry in which the wave vector q lies?

Thanks for your help.

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/YeJyP.png
[2]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/KzopQ.png
[3]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/JgzOv.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your problem and providing the relevant equations and figures. I will do my best to help you solve this problem.

For item (a), you are correct in thinking that you need to use eq. (13.21) in order to solve the problem. To Fourier transform this equation, you can use the identity:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i\omega t}f(t)dt = F(\omega)$$

where F(ω) is the Fourier transform of f(t). Applying this identity to eq. (13.21), we get:

$$g(r,k,t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g^0(k)e^{i\omega t}d\omega + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^t d\omega dt' e^{-(t-t')/\tau(\epsilon(k))}(-\partial f /\partial \epsilon) \times v(k(t'))[-eE(t')-\nabla \mu(t')] e^{i\omega t}$$

Next, we can use the identity you mentioned, g^0(k) = f(k) - f_{coll}, to rewrite the first term in the equation as:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g^0(k)e^{i\omega t}d\omega = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} [f(k) - f_{coll}]e^{i\omega t}d\omega = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(k)e^{i\omega t}d\omega - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f_{coll}e^{i\omega t}d\omega = F(k) - F_{coll}$$

where F(k) is the Fourier transform of f(k) and F_{coll} is the Fourier transform of f_{coll}. Similarly, we can rewrite the second term as:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-\infty}^t d\omega dt' e^{-(t-t')/\tau(\epsilon(k))}(-\partial f /\partial \epsilon) \times v(k(t'))[-eE(t')-\nabla \mu(t')] e^{

1. What is Ashcroft and Mermin's problem 13.4?

Ashcroft and Mermin's problem 13.4 is a physics problem that challenges students to find the equilibrium positions of atoms in a 2D crystal lattice under the influence of external forces and other constraints.

2. What is the difficulty level of this problem?

The difficulty level of Ashcroft and Mermin's problem 13.4 is considered to be intermediate to advanced, as it requires a strong understanding of crystal structures, equilibrium, and optimization.

3. What is the significance of this problem in physics?

This problem is significant because it demonstrates the application of theoretical concepts to real-world scenarios and helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What are some common strategies for solving this problem?

Some common strategies for solving this problem include visualizing the crystal lattice, using mathematical equations to represent the forces and constraints, and using computer simulations to test different scenarios.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this problem?

Yes, this problem has real-life applications in materials science, as it is relevant to understanding the behavior of crystals and other solid structures under external forces. It also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of stronger and more stable structures.