Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra (on neighbor fractions)

In summary, the author proves that if a fraction has common factors in numerator and denominator, we cannot get a possible solution. In addition, the author provides a solution to the last part of the problem that uses matrix multiplication.
vsgarciaaleman

Homework Statement

Fractions ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## are called neighbor fractions if their difference ##\frac{ad - bc}{bd}## has numerator ##\pm 1##, that is, ##ad - bc = \pm 1##.

Prove that

(a) in this case neither fraction can be simplified (that is, neither has any common factors in numerator and denominator);

(b) if ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## are neighbor fractions, then ##\frac{a + b}{c + d}## is between them and is a neighbor fraction for both ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##; moreover,

(c) no fraction ##\frac{e}{f}## with positive integer ##e## and ##f## such that ##f < b + d## is between ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##

Homework Equations

We saw in page 23 that “it is a horrible error (which, of course, you avoid) to add numerators and denominators separately:

$$\frac{2}{3} + \frac{5}{7} \rightarrow \frac{2 + 5}{3 + 7} = \frac{7}{10}$$

Instead of the sum this operation gives you something in between the two fractions you started with (##7/10 = 0.7## is between ##2/3 = 0.666##... and ##5/7 = 0.714285##...).

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is proved as follows:We prove that if a fraction has common factors in numerator and denominator, we cannot get a possible solution:##\frac{xi}{xj} - \frac{c}{d} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{xid - xjc}{xjd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{x\times(id - jc)}{xjd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{id - jc}{jd} = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}##

##\frac{id - jc}{jd}\times jd = \frac{\pm 1}{xjd}\times jd##

##id - jc \neq \frac{\pm 1}{x}##

Except in the case that ##x = \pm 1##I think it's ok that way. But now in the following part of the problem I think that it has a mistake, and where he says '##\frac{a + b}{c + d}## is between them and...' it should say '##\frac{a + c}{b + d}## is between them and...'due to what we saw in page 23. If that were the case, then the solution should be:

##\frac{a}{b} - \frac{a + c}{b + d} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{a (b + d) - b (a + c)}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ab + ad - ba - bc}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{b (b + d)} = \frac{\pm 1}{b (b + d)}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{b^{2} + bd} \times b^{2} = \frac{\pm 1}{b^{2} + bd} \times b^{2}##

##\frac{ad - bc}{bd} = \frac{\pm 1}{bd}##

And that's what we had as a neighbor fraction. The last question is driving me crazy. I can't see how to solve that, and would appreciate a hint or something.

Thanks for your attention and excuse me for my bad English!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me give you some common tools at hand so that you can learn something more out of it than just getting a solution.

If you arrange your fractions as a matrix [tex] A = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{bmatrix}[/tex] then you can define

[tex]A \cdot \bar{A} = \begin{bmatrix}a & b\\ c & d\end{bmatrix} \cdot \begin{bmatrix}\bar{a} & \bar{b}\\ \bar{c} & \bar{d}\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a \cdot \bar{a} + b \cdot \bar{c} & a \cdot \bar{b} + b \cdot \bar{d} \\ c \cdot \bar{a} + d \cdot \bar{c} & c \cdot \bar{b} + d \cdot \bar{d} \end{bmatrix}[/tex] which is called matrix multiplication.

Further the term ##det(A) = a \cdot d - b \cdot c## is called determinate of ##A##. You can show that ##det(A \cdot \bar{A}) = det(A) \cdot det(\bar{A})##.

Applying this to your problems (a) and the last part of (b) the solutions can be stated in a more elegant way, although it does just that what you did. For the second part of (b) consider multiplying ##A## with \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1\\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix} and \begin{bmatrix} 1& 0\\ 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}.

And you are right: ##\frac{a+b}{c+d}## is not in between ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}## as [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3\\ 2 & 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex] shows.

Likes vsgarciaaleman
Hint on (c): Let us assume all integers are positiv, ##a d - b c = 1## and ##0 ≤ \frac {c}{d} ≤ \frac {e}{f} ≤ \frac {a}{b}##
Then ##bcf ≤ edb ≤ adf = (1 + bc) f = f + bcf < bcf## which is a contradiction, i.e ##\frac{e}{f}## cannot exist.

Likes vsgarciaaleman
fresh_42 said:
the term det(A)=a⋅d−b⋅c is called determinate of A.
Determinant.

haruspex said:
Determinant.
thx, was in a hurry :wink:

Thank you very much for your answers! Since I haven't studied matrices yet I can't apply what you told me @fresh_42 but I've put a mark on the problem to be back when I begin with matrices!

fresh_42 said:
Then ##bcf ≤ edb ≤ adf = (1 + bc) f = f + bcf < bcf## which is a contradiction, i.e ##\frac{e}{f}## cannot exist.
I didn't follow the last step, where you write "< bcf". Where does that come from? You don't seem to have used f<b+d, so maybe it's from that somehow.

haruspex said:
I didn't follow the last step, where you write "< bcf". Where does that come from? You don't seem to have used f<b+d, so maybe it's from that somehow.
You are right. I made a fat mistake. Embarrassing :sorry: I have to restart it.

1. What is Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra?

Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra is a mathematical problem that challenges students to find the sum of two neighbor fractions. Neighbor fractions are fractions with adjacent denominators, such as 1/2 and 2/3.

2. How difficult is Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra?

The difficulty level of Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra can vary depending on an individual's math skills and problem-solving abilities. However, it is considered to be a challenging problem that requires a good understanding of fractions and algebraic concepts.

3. What is the purpose of Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra?

The purpose of this problem is to test a student's ability to manipulate and simplify fractions, as well as their understanding of algebraic expressions. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any tips for solving Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra?

Yes, some tips for solving this problem include breaking down the fractions into simpler forms, using common denominators, and finding patterns in the fractions. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and to not be afraid to try different approaches.

5. Can I find the solution to Problem 42 on Gelfand's Algebra online?

Yes, there are various online resources and forums where you can find the solution to this problem. However, it is recommended to first try solving it on your own before seeking the solution online to fully understand the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills.