Problem-Based Learning: A Waste of Time?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a teaching method called PBL where students are expected to discover and present information as a team. However, it is seen as a waste of time and not effective as some students just copy and paste information from the internet. It also creates problems when one team member overachieves and turns a short presentation into a long one. The conversation also includes a video that satirically portrays this teaching method.
gravenewworld
Who came up with this idea? It's a huge waste of time and I learn very little in our PBL sessions. I can't believe I have to waste time everyday with this crap. Some idiot wishy well do gooders probably thought up this 'teaching' method, when it is nothing more than a fad that should die off. ANyone else have to do PBL?

Most of the kids just wiki search, google, or do a quick pubmed and copy and paste. PBLs seem like it is a way for educators to do less teaching while charging the same amount of tuition dollars.

The worst is when you have a team member that has 20 pages of notes and wants to lecture for half an hour using a ridiculous power point presentation on just a single problem because they're are a massive overachiever.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this that system where the kids are expected to re-invent the wheel every time they try to learn something?

lisab said:
Is this that system where the kids are expected to re-invent the wheel every time they try to learn something?
Pretty much. You are given a topic, problem, or disease and have to figure our what it is as a team and present on your results. All it does is turn into a quick google search and a copy and paste fest to some power point slides. Of course when there are multiple parts to the problem and we split the questions up so that each person gets one, the over achiever in the group has to turn what is supposed to be a 10 minute presentation into a 25 minute, 35 slide power point presentation just because they want to wow the professors when the question they are supposed to be answering should only take 2 minutes. What a huge waste of time.

This image is pretty funny but oh so true:

pyMzn.gif

I, for one, very much dislike having to "discover" things when that discovery is long and drawn out and results in a theorem that is fundamental to the material. I don't mind "side trips" in the problems sections that point to cool conclusions, but I had one book where entire chapters were devoted to "discovery" of fundamental properties. Like, let's spend a whole chapter "discovering" how to multiply a matrix, or find a determinant, or something really primary like that. I found it severely limited the amount of material we were able to cover. boo.

Team based learning The Office style. Quite a funny vid because it is too true:

Last edited by a moderator:
ArcanaNoir said:
I, for one, very much dislike having to "discover" things when that discovery is long and drawn out and results in a theorem that is fundamental to the material. I don't mind "side trips" in the problems sections that point to cool conclusions, but I had one book where entire chapters were devoted to "discovery" of fundamental properties. Like, let's spend a whole chapter "discovering" how to multiply a matrix, or find a determinant, or something really primary like that. I found it severely limited the amount of material we were able to cover. boo.

Ugh, that sounds horrible.

1. What is problem-based learning?

Problem-based learning (PBL) is an instructional method that involves students working collaboratively to solve a complex, real-world problem. It is an active learning approach where students are challenged to think critically and apply their knowledge and skills to find a solution.

2. Is problem-based learning effective?

Research has shown that problem-based learning can be an effective teaching method. It has been found to improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and collaboration skills, as well as increase student motivation and engagement.

3. What are the benefits of using problem-based learning?

Some of the benefits of using problem-based learning include developing higher-order thinking skills, promoting teamwork and communication, and providing a more realistic and practical learning experience. It also allows students to take ownership of their learning and build on their prior knowledge.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using problem-based learning?

While problem-based learning can be an effective teaching method, it may not be suitable for all subjects or all students. It requires a significant amount of time and effort to design and implement, and some students may struggle with the open-ended nature of the problems.

5. How can problem-based learning be implemented in the classroom?

To implement problem-based learning in the classroom, teachers should first identify a relevant and challenging problem for students to solve. They should then provide support and guidance as students work through the problem, encouraging critical thinking and collaboration. Finally, teachers should facilitate a debriefing session to reflect on the learning process and discuss the solutions that were found.