Problem converting joules to dynes

• Thread starter Tom Hardy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joules
In summary, the conversation is about converting 200 Btu to different units, specifically British gravitational (BG), SI, and cgs. While the first two conversions are correct, there is an issue with the cgs conversion given in the answer sheet. The units should be in erg, not dyne, which is a unit of force. The definition of an erg is given as the amount of work done when a force of one dyne is exerted for one centimeter. The mistake may have been leaving out the cm in the answer.
Tom Hardy
I have this question:

1. The problem
Convert 200 Btu to (a) BG (British gravitational), (b) SI and (c) cgs

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) and (b) are fine I got 155600ftlb and 200kJ but the answer the sheet gives for cgs is 211x10^10 dyne but surely the answer is 211x10^10 erg?! I can correctly convert to erg but I have no idea how to convert energy (joules) into a force (dynes).

My working was since joule is kg.m^2/s^2 to turn it into cgs units I would times by 1000 to account for kg --> cm and times by 10,000 to account for m^2-->cm^2 and I get an answer of 211x10^10 but the units is what's bothering me. Surely the units should be 'erg'? But the answer sheet is showing 'dyne', is there a way to to convert energy (joule) to force (dyne) or is there an error on the answer sheet?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The sheet appears to be using incorrect units. The dyne is a unit of force in the CGS system. 1 dyne = 1 g-cm/s2 = 10-5 N

This is why I dislike the metric system. There are too many units to keep track of.

Do you know the definition of an erg?

Chestermiller said:
Do you know the definition of an erg?

Well, as I understand it, it has the same relationship with a dyne as Newton does with newtom metres. So basically the amount of work that is done when a force of one dyne is exerted for one centimetre, something like that at least.

Tom Hardy said:
Well, as I understand it, it has the same relationship with a dyne as Newton does with newtom metres. So basically the amount of work that is done when a force of one dyne is exerted for one centimetre, something like that at least.
Right you are. So 1 erg = 1 dyne - cm. They must have left out the cm part in the answer.

Chet

Likes Tom Hardy
Chestermiller said:
Right you are. So 1 erg = 1 dyne - cm. They must have left out the cm part in the answer.

Chet

Ah, that must be it. Thank you for your help!

What is the formula for converting joules to dynes?

The formula for converting joules (J) to dynes (dyn) is: 1 J = 10^7 dyn.

Why is it necessary to convert between joules and dynes?

Joules and dynes are two different units of measurement for energy and force, respectively. It may be necessary to convert between the two units in order to compare or combine data from different sources.

What are some common applications of joules and dynes?

Joules are commonly used to measure energy in various systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and chemical systems. Dynes are commonly used to measure force in small-scale systems, such as molecular forces or surface tension.

Are there any conversion factors or constants that need to be considered when converting joules to dynes?

Yes, the constant 10^7 is the conversion factor between joules and dynes. This means that to convert joules to dynes, you simply need to multiply the number of joules by 10^7. Conversely, to convert dynes to joules, you would divide the number of dynes by 10^7.

Can joules and dynes be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, joules and dynes can be converted to other units of measurement. For example, joules can be converted to calories, while dynes can be converted to newtons. It is important to use the appropriate conversion factor for the specific unit of measurement being converted.