Problem in equations of kinematics in two dimensions

In summary, a student studying equations of kinematics in two dimensions and projectile motion is stuck on a problem involving a car driving off a cliff. They have the height and distance of the cliff, but are unsure how to find the initial velocity of the car. After some guidance and realizing the effect of gravity, they are able to solve for the time and successfully find the initial velocity of the car.
Batlin
Problem in equations of kinematics in two dimensions..please help

Hi, I'm a first year physics student and am studying equations of kinematics in two dimensions and projectile motion. I was given the following question as homework to prep for my first exam this Wednesday. I'm pretty solid on the subject but for some reason I am stuck on this problem:

Homework Statement

"A car drives straight off the edge of a cliff that is 54m high. The point of impact is 130m from the base of the cliff. How fast was the car traveling when it went off the cliff?"

Homework Equations

Vx = Vox + AxT
X = 1/2(Vox + Vx)T
X = VoxT + 1/2AxT^2
Vx^2 = Vox^2 + 2AxX

Vy = Voy + AyT
Y = 1/2(V0y + Vy)T
Y = VoyT + 1/2AyT^2
Vy^2 = Voy^2 + 2AyY

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the information given, I know my Delta X and Delta Y. However, no matter which equation I use to sovle for Vox (the speed of the car when it left the cliff) I always have 2 unknown values in my equation. If I knew Vx or T I could solve this. However, I know that it is solvable, my professor posted T and VoX. I am just totally stuck on where to take the first step in the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bat.

Physics news on Phys.org

Batlin said:
Hi, I'm a first year physics student and am studying equations of kinematics in two dimensions and projectile motion. I was given the following question as homework to prep for my first exam this Wednesday. I'm pretty solid on the subject but for some reason I am stuck on this problem:

Homework Statement

"A car drives straight off the edge of a cliff that is 54m high. The point of impact is 130m from the base of the cliff. How fast was the car traveling when it went off the cliff?"

Homework Equations

Vx = Vox + AxT
X = 1/2(Vox + Vx)T
X = VoxT + 1/2AxT^2
Vx^2 = Vox^2 + 2AxX

Vy = Voy + AyT
Y = 1/2(V0y + Vy)T
Y = VoyT + 1/2AyT^2
Vy^2 = Voy^2 + 2AyY

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the information given, I know my Delta X and Delta Y. However, no matter which equation I use to sovle for Vox (the speed of the car when it left the cliff) I always have 2 unknown values in my equation. If I knew Vx or T I could solve this. However, I know that it is solvable, my professor posted T and VoX. I am just totally stuck on where to take the first step in the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bat.

Welcome to PF.

You know the height, so you can calculate the time to impact.

That times the horizontal velocity is known to be 130 m.

Hrmm.. see this is where I'm confused. I only have a distance. I don't know my initial or ending velocity or the time it took to travel the 130m?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

You know the height, so you can calculate the time to impact.

That times the horizontal velocity is known to be 130 m.

I did try this route once:

130m = 54mT, T = 2.41

However, the professor gave the answer to the problem and has T = 3.32 sec

I cannot figure out how she got this?

Batlin said:
Hrmm.. see this is where I'm confused. I only have a distance. I don't know my initial or ending velocity or the time it took to travel the 130m?

But you have more information that is not stated.

You have gravity. It's easy to forget because it's always there.

How long does it take the car to drop vertically in the gravity field off the cliff?

That would be given by H = 54 m = 1/2 (9.8 m/s2) (t2)

You can find these equations in your textbook or from this link:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

Batlin said:
I did try this route once:

130m = 54mT, T = 2.41

However, the professor gave the answer to the problem and has T = 3.32 sec

I cannot figure out how she got this?

This equation just can't be right.

You have distance = distance * time.

The ratio of the distances in this case is simply not the time.

LowlyPion said:
But you have more information that is not stated.

You have gravity. It's easy to forget because it's always there.

How long does it take the car to drop vertically in the gravity field off the cliff?

That would be given by H = 54 m = 1/2 (9.8 m/s20 (t2)

I see now!

I get 3.3197 sec for T.

Damn how did I miss this... what's screwing me up is that I kept thinking I needed a Vo or V to get my Time.

Related to Problem in equations of kinematics in two dimensions

1. What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space, without taking into account the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the equations of kinematics in two dimensions?

The equations of kinematics in two dimensions are the same as in one dimension, but with separate components for motion in the x and y directions. These equations include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How do I solve problems involving kinematics in two dimensions?

To solve problems involving kinematics in two dimensions, you will need to use the equations of motion and apply them to each component of the motion separately. It is important to identify the given information and the unknown variable in order to choose the correct equation to use.

4. What is the difference between kinematics in one dimension and two dimensions?

Kinematics in one dimension only considers motion in a straight line, while kinematics in two dimensions takes into account motion in both the x and y directions. This means that there are separate equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in each direction.

5. What are some common types of problems in kinematics in two dimensions?

Some common types of problems in kinematics in two dimensions include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane. These problems often involve objects moving in a curved path or in two directions at the same time.