Problem involving Source Transformation and Nodal Analysis

In summary, the person has completed all questions and is now attempting part (b) by transforming the voltage source into a current source. They are having trouble finding the current and are seeking advice. They have included their workings and believe the answer should be -0.5 A. They appreciate any help and have completed the source transformation correctly. They have 3 resistors in parallel and need to find the current through the equivalent "resistor" to determine the voltage across it. The total resistance of the three resistors is 1 ohm and the resulting current is -1 A, leading to a voltage of -1V. The person then uses the equation I = -V/2 = -1/2 = -0.5
Weaver

Homework Statement

question.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted and completed all questions. However, I am now trying part (b) with transforming the voltage source into a current source. I am unable to work out the current and I am unsure what to do next.

I have included my workings

I believe the answer should be -0.5 A

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attempt at part (b):
DocFile (5).jpg

Completed Solution:
DocFile (1).jpg
DocFile (2).jpg
DocFile (3).jpg
DocFile (4).jpg

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,534
  • DocFile (1).jpg
    DocFile (1).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 673
  • DocFile (2).jpg
    DocFile (2).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 683
  • DocFile (3).jpg
    DocFile (3).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 622
  • DocFile (4).jpg
    DocFile (4).jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 648
  • DocFile (5).jpg
    DocFile (5).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 714
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, all three solutions are correct.

Likes scottdave
Babadag said:
In my opinion, all three solutions are correct.

Thanks for checking my solution. I really appreciate it.

However, what about my attempt at the source transformation of the voltage source? I haven't completed that part and I am unsure what to do. Any advice?

Conor_B said:
Thanks for checking my solution. I really appreciate it.

However, what about my attempt at the source transformation of the voltage source? I haven't completed that part and I am unsure what to do. Any advice?
You have 3 resistors in parallel. Find the current through that equivalent "resistor", which will give you the voltage across that resistance.

Likes Weaver
upload_2017-11-10_11-59-32.png
Source transformation is o.k.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-10_11-59-32.png
    upload_2017-11-10_11-59-32.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 437
scottdave said:
You have 3 resistors in parallel. Find the current through that equivalent "resistor", which will give you the voltage across that resistance.

Thanks Scott! That's makes sense
  • The total resistance of the three resistors in parallel is 1 ohm.
  • The resulting current flowing into the resistors is -1 A.
  • The voltage across the three resistors is then -1V
  • And I = -V/2 = -1/2 = -0.5 A

Likes scottdave

1. What is source transformation and how is it used in nodal analysis?

Source transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to transform a voltage source into a current source (or vice versa) while maintaining the same circuit behavior. In nodal analysis, source transformation can be used to simplify complex circuits by converting voltage sources into current sources, making it easier to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node.

2. How does nodal analysis differ from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is a method of circuit analysis that is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law. Unlike other methods such as mesh analysis or Thevenin's theorem, nodal analysis does not require the circuit to be divided into separate loops or subcircuits. Instead, it focuses on finding the unknown voltages at each node in the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a problem using nodal analysis?

The first step in nodal analysis is to identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, Kirchhoff's Current Law is applied at each node to create a system of equations. The next step is to solve the system of equations using techniques such as substitution or matrix methods. Finally, the unknown voltages at each node are calculated, and the circuit behavior can be analyzed.

4. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources, as long as the dependent source is not connected directly to a node. In these cases, the dependent source can be represented as a voltage or current source and incorporated into the equations for nodal analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis for circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis may not be the most efficient method for larger, more complex circuits due to the number of equations that need to be solved. It also assumes that the circuit is linear and does not take into account the effects of parasitic elements. Additionally, nodal analysis may not be suitable for circuits with nonlinear elements such as diodes or transistors.