Problem Proving a Spinor Identity

In summary, the conversation is discussing the properties of spinors and the identity ##A_{\mu}\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^{\mu}\psi^{c}=-A_{\mu}\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi##. However, upon further examination, it is determined that this identity cannot be true due to the positive nature of both ##\psi^\dagger \psi## and ##(\psi^c)^\dagger (\psi^c)##.
Geremy Holly

Homework Statement

Given the spinors:
[tex]\Psi_{1}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\psi-\psi^{c}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Psi_{2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\psi+\psi^{c}\right)[/tex]
Where c denotes charge conjugation, show that for a vector boson #A_{\mu}#;
[tex]
A_{\mu}\overline{\Psi_{1}}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi_{2}
+
A_{\mu}\overline{\Psi_{2}}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi_{1}
=
A_{\mu}\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi
[/tex]

Homework Equations

##\psi^{c}=-i\gamma^{2}\psi^{*}##
##\overline{\psi}=\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0}##
##\{\gamma^{\mu},\gamma^{\nu}\}=2\eta^{\mu\nu}##
##\gamma^{2}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{2}=(\gamma^{\mu})^{*}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging in ##\Psi_{1,2}## it is easy to show that
[tex]
A_{\mu}\overline{\Psi_{1}}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi_{2}
+
A_{\mu}\overline{\Psi_{2}}\gamma^{\mu}\Psi_{1}
=
A_{\mu}(\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi-\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^{\mu}\psi^{c})
[/tex]
So for the identity I want to prove to be true I need to prove that
[tex]\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^{\mu}\psi^{c}=-\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi[/tex]
Plugging in the definition of ##\psi^{c}## gives

\begin{align*}
\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^{\mu}\psi^{c}
&=
(-i\gamma^{2}\psi^{*})^{\dagger}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}(-i\gamma^{2}\psi^{*})\\
&=
(i\psi^{T}(\gamma^{2})^{\dagger})\gamma^{0}\gamma^{\mu}(-i\gamma^{2}\psi^{*})\\
&=
\psi^{T}\gamma^{0}\gamma^{2}\gamma^{\mu}\gamma^{2}\psi^{*}\\
&=
\psi^{T}\gamma^{0}(\gamma^{\mu})^{*}\psi^{*}\\
&=
(\psi^{\dagger}\gamma^{0}(\gamma^{\mu})\psi)^{*}\\
&=
(\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi)^{*}\\
\end{align*}
Which disagress with the required expression unless it is purely imaginary! I have absolutely no idea where I've gone wrong and would really appreciate some help spotting my error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Geremy Holly said:
So for the identity I want to prove to be true I need to prove that
[tex]\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^{\mu}\psi^{c}=-\overline{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi[/tex]

That doesn't seem like it could be true. Look at the ##\gamma^0## term. You would need:

##\overline{\psi^{c}}\gamma^0 \psi^{c}=-\overline{\psi}\gamma^0\psi##

But ##\overline{\psi} = \psi^\dagger \gamma^0##. So the left-hand side is:

##- \psi^\dagger \gamma^0 \gamma^0 \psi = - \psi^\dagger \psi## (because ##\gamma^0 \gamma^0 = 1##).

But ##\psi^\dagger \psi## is always positive. Similarly, ##(\psi^c)^\dagger (\psi^c)## is always positive. So they can't have opposite signs (unless they're both zero).

Something is screwy here.

1. What is a spinor identity?

A spinor identity is an equation that relates different mathematical objects called spinors. Spinors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction, and they are used in physics and mathematics to describe the properties of objects such as particles and fields.

2. Why is problem proving a spinor identity important?

Proving a spinor identity is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between different spinors and how they behave in different situations. This is essential for developing new theories and models in physics and mathematics.

3. What methods are used to prove a spinor identity?

There are several methods that can be used to prove a spinor identity, including algebraic manipulation, geometric interpretation, and the use of properties and theorems specific to spinors. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the identity and the desired level of rigor.

4. What are some real-world applications of spinor identities?

Spinor identities have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics and mathematics. They are used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles, in relativity to describe the rotation of objects in space, and in geometric algebra to simplify calculations and derive new theories.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for spinor identities?

To improve your problem-solving skills for spinor identities, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of spinors and their properties. Practice working through various spinor identity problems and try different methods of solving them. Additionally, staying updated on current research and developments in the field can also help to improve problem-solving skills.