Problem regarding determining mass of neutrino

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the mass of a neutrino and the correct approach to solving it. The suggested method is to use the equation (mc^2)(gamma) = 10MeV and solve for v/c, then use the given inequality to find the mass in terms of eV. The final answer is m < 632.45 eV and it is an upper limit. There is no need to convert the mass to kg-s as it is already given in eV.
dilloncyh
problem regarding determining mass of neutrino (urgent)

1. Homework Statement [/b]
It is found that the speed v of the neutrinos with 10 MeV of total energy is
(1- v/c) < 2x10^(-9) Estimate the mass of the neutrinos in terms of eV, and determine whether the value you find is an upper or lower limit.

My attempt:

I just start with (mc^2)(gamma) = 10Mev (m is the mass of neutrino, gamma is the Lorentz factor), and get v/c = ((1-((mc^2)/10MeV)^2)^1/2 after doing some algebra. Then, I solve the inequality and get m<632.45 eV. Is my approach and answer correct?

thx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Check the magnitudes.

ehild

If the question asks for the mass in terms of eV, do I multiply the mass in kg by c^2 then divide by e?

No, the mass is needed in eV-s. Have you transformed 10 MeV to eV-s ?

ehild

Well, I get m < 1.1259 x 10^-33 kg, is this answer correct?

The value you got for the mass in eV-s is wrong. No use to transform it to kg-s. Check your calculations: substitute the energy in eV-s.

ehild

Last edited:

But is my approach correct? Express 10MeV in terms of (gamma)mc^2, then find the expression of v/c after some algebra, and solve that inequality to get m.

Yes, your approach is correct, but read the text of the problem

" Estimate the mass of the neutrinos in terms of eV, and determine whether the value you find is an upper or lower limit. "

The equation you used (mc2)(gamma) = 10MeV is also correct. The rest mass in eV is just 107/gamma, and v/c is given :1-v/c<2˙10-9 .

No need to calculate the mass in kg-s.

I checked my calculation, and your result in the first post was correct. Sorry.

ehild

Last edited:

1. Why is it difficult to determine the mass of a neutrino?

Determining the mass of a neutrino is difficult because neutrinos are extremely lightweight particles and have a tendency to interact very weakly with matter, making it challenging to detect and measure their mass accurately.

2. How do scientists currently estimate the mass of a neutrino?

Scientists use a variety of methods to estimate the mass of a neutrino, including studying the effects of neutrino oscillations and measuring the cosmic microwave background radiation. These methods provide a range of possible values for the mass of a neutrino, but the exact value is still unknown.

3. Can the mass of a neutrino change over time?

Yes, the mass of a neutrino can change over time due to a phenomenon called neutrino oscillation, where neutrinos can change between different types (flavors) as they travel through space. This change in flavor is associated with a change in mass, making it difficult to determine the exact mass of a neutrino.

4. Why is determining the mass of a neutrino important?

Determining the mass of a neutrino is important because it can provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us better understand the structure and evolution of the universe. It can also have implications for other areas of research, such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. Are there any current experiments or technologies that may help us determine the mass of a neutrino?

Yes, there are several experiments and technologies currently being developed that may help us determine the mass of a neutrino more accurately. These include the use of high-energy particle accelerators, precision measurements of neutrino oscillation, and the study of rare nuclear decays that involve neutrinos.