Problem Understanding Physical Pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about finding the period T of a physical pendulum with a uniform circular disk, given its dimensions and release angle. Two equations are provided - one for T and one for the moment of inertia I. The person is having trouble understanding the value h in the equation for T, which is related to the height of the disk. After discussing the parallel-axis theorem and the total height, they are able to determine their mistake and find the correct value for h.
Saladsamurai
I am having trouble understanding what h is in the equation for T listed below. Here is an image
th_Photo1.jpg
The Problem: A physical pendulum consists of a uniform circular disk (of R=2.35cm) supported in a vertical plane by a pivot located a distance D=1.75cm from the center of the disk. The disk is displaced by a small angle and released. What is the period T of the resulting SHM?

Equations:
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgh}}[/tex]

[tex]I=I_{cm}+mH^2[/tex]

from text [tex]I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]

This is where I am messing up either my algebra or what I am interpreting as h.

For the parellel-axis theorem I had [tex]I_{disk}=\frac{MR^2}{2}+MD^2[/tex] where D is the distance from the COM to the pivot.

and for h in mgh I thought the total height was h=D+R.

Am I correct about what h is? Or no? This will determine what my mistake is

Thanks
Casey

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry...I got it.

Last edited:
Dear Casey,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your trouble understanding the equation for T in the physical pendulum problem. I can see why you are confused about the value of h in the equation.

Firstly, h in the equation represents the height of the center of mass (COM) of the disk from the pivot point. This is different from the total height h=D+R, as you correctly mentioned. The reason for this is that in the equation T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{I}{mgh}}, h is used to calculate the potential energy of the pendulum, which is directly proportional to the height of the COM from the pivot.

Secondly, your calculation of the moment of inertia (I) using the parallel-axis theorem is correct. However, in the equation I=I_{cm}+mH^2, H represents the distance from the pivot to the COM, not the disk diameter (D). This is why in your calculation, you used D as the distance to the pivot, but in the equation, H is used.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. If you are still having trouble understanding the problem, I would suggest breaking down the steps and equations into smaller parts and carefully considering the variables and their definitions. Additionally, it might be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the variables to visualize the problem better.

Best of luck with your problem-solving!

Sincerely,

Related to Problem Understanding Physical Pendulum

1. What is a physical pendulum?

A physical pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body swinging back and forth around a fixed axis due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum.

3. What factors affect the period of a physical pendulum?

The period of a physical pendulum can be affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the pendulum. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the period.

4. How does the amplitude of a physical pendulum affect its motion?

The amplitude, or the maximum angle of swing, of a physical pendulum can affect its motion by changing the energy of the pendulum. As the amplitude increases, so does the potential energy of the pendulum, resulting in a longer period and slower motion. Conversely, a smaller amplitude leads to a shorter period and faster motion.

5. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a physical pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass suspended from a string or rod, while a physical pendulum involves a larger, rigid body swinging back and forth. The equation for the period of a simple pendulum is T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the string or rod, while for a physical pendulum, it is T = 2π√(I/mgd). Additionally, a simple pendulum undergoes simple harmonic motion, while a physical pendulum can display more complex motion due to its shape and distribution of mass.