:Problem with a cylinder tank and a nozzle

In summary, the problem is that the velocity of the flow is sqrt(2*gh), which is much larger than the area of the nozzle. This suggests that you need to use a differential equation to relate the drop in the reservoir level to the discharge of the pipe.
Co2
urgent :Problem with a cylinder tank and a nozzle

Hey guys,
I have been given a problem and I really want your help cause I have some doubts:[/B]

A cylindrical tank 1.52 m in diameter and 7.62 m high contains cottonseed oil having a density of 917 kg/m3. The tank is open to the atmosphere. A discharge nozzle of inside diameter 15.8 mm and cross-sectional area A2 is located near the bottom of the tank. The surface of the liquid is located at H = 6.1 m above the center line of the nozzle. The discharge nozzle is opened, draining the liquid level from H = 6.1 m to H = 4.57 m. Calculate the time in seconds to do this.

- I have used bernoulli equation
(P1/ρg) +(v1^2/2g) + z1= (p2/ρg) +(v2^2/2g) +z2

- I assumed velocity V1 (related to the height of the oli in the tank) is very small due to the large diameter so i simply neglect it

- I assumed that Z2 elevation to be zero since the flow direction will be horizontal, and Z1 =6.1 m
- P1=P2=P atm so it's canceled

so I left with:
V2^2/ 2g= Z1 then I got the time= h/ V and here h =(6.1- 4.57)= 1.53 m
but though I got a unreasonable answer about 0.13 s

so please can you determine where is the problem in my assumptions
thank you... :shy:
Co2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Assumptions for Bernoulli equation are ok. But...

Velocity of flow is sqrt(2gh). Volumetric flow is V*An where An is nozzle area. The tank area is much larger. Volumetric flow rate is a function of height of column of oil. What does that suggest you do?

Last edited:

I see, I will have to use a differential equation, but how can I relate it to my equation above sorry but I'm very confused ... thank you

Write a differential equation on the volumetric flow rate equating the drop in the reservoir level to the discharge of the pipe. Velocity of the discharge is sqrt(2*g*h). The volumetric flow rate is Ap*V or Ap*sqrt(2*g*h).

You need to relate that to the rate of drop of height in the reservoir. Whenever you derive equations, always check your units to make certain the terms of the equation are uniform in dimension.

got it... thank you so much

Hi
Can you write the differential equation and your answer pleas?
because i consfused little.
thank

1. What could be causing the leak in my cylinder tank?

There are a few possible reasons for a leak in a cylinder tank. It could be due to corrosion or damage to the tank itself, a faulty nozzle or valve, or improper installation. It is important to have a professional inspect the tank and determine the cause of the leak.

2. Can I repair a leak in my cylinder tank myself?

It is not recommended to attempt to repair a leak in a cylinder tank yourself. This is a potentially dangerous task and should be left to trained professionals. Attempting to fix the leak yourself could also void any warranty on the tank.

3. How can I prevent a leak from occurring in my cylinder tank?

The best way to prevent a leak in your cylinder tank is to regularly inspect and maintain it. This includes checking for any signs of corrosion, ensuring the nozzle and valve are working properly, and following proper installation guidelines. It is also important to monitor the tank's pressure and temperature to prevent overfilling or overheating.

4. What should I do if I notice a leak in my cylinder tank?

If you notice a leak in your cylinder tank, it is important to take immediate action. First, turn off any valves or switches connected to the tank and evacuate the area. Contact a professional to inspect and repair the tank as soon as possible.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when dealing with a cylinder tank and nozzle?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when dealing with a cylinder tank and nozzle. This includes wearing proper protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and following all safety guidelines and instructions from the manufacturer. It is also important to properly store and handle any chemicals or substances stored in the tank. If you are unsure of how to safely handle the tank and nozzle, it is best to consult a professional.