Problem with Gravitation inside the Earth

In summary, xnitexlitex was trying to solve for the mass below him using an equation that assumes a point mass instead of a uniform density of the planet. He realized his mistake and went back to the original suggestion of eliminating G and ME.
xnitexlitex

Homework Statement

How deep would a mine shaft have to be for the gravitational acceleration at the bottom to be reduced by a factor of 5 from its value on the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

g=r(GME/RE3)
G = 6.67 * 10-11
ME = 5.97 * 1024 kg
RE = 6.38 * 106 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I set g/5 equal to the equation g=r(GME/RE3). I got it wrong. I also tried dividing the result by 5, and it still didn't work. What else am I supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
xnitexlitex said:
I set g/5 equal to the equation g=r(GME/RE3).
That should work. First simplify the equation to show g(r) in terms of g at the Earth's surface. (You shouldn't have to use G or ME.)

xnitexlitex said:
I set g/5 equal to the equation g=r(GME/RE3). I got it wrong. I also tried dividing the result by 5, and it still didn't work. What else am I supposed to do?

You have to take into account that the mass of the Earth below you is less. You'll probably want to assume that the Earth is of uniform density to to that.

Do you see how?

Good point, Fewmet. However, how would I calculate the mass below if I don't know the depth?

Fewmet said:
You have to take into account that the mass of the Earth below you is less. You'll probably want to assume that the Earth is of uniform density to to that.
The equation he has assumes just that. It assumes the Earth is of uniform density.

Doc Al said:
The equation he has assumes just that. It assumes the Earth is of uniform density.

hmm... I hastily read g=r(GME/RE3) as g=GME/RE2. My mistake.

I don't immediately see where g=r(GME/RE3) comes from. Is r depth or the radius of the Earth beneath you when you are at depth?

I assume the derivation involves g=GME/RE2. I was thinking that assumes a point mass rather than a uniform density of the planet. (Sorry if that seems like quibbling.)

xnitexlitex:
My reply was in the context of approaching the problem as though you were standing on a smaller planet when down in the mine shaft. You are closer to the center of the Earth and are being attracted by a lesser mass. If you are at depth d, your are at radius RE-d, the mass is ρ(4/3)∏(RE-d)3.

Alternatively, you could subtract the mass of the outer shell (whose thickness is d).

While you don't know d, it is the only unknown in g=GME/RE2.

xnitexlitex said:
Good point, Fewmet. However, how would I calculate the mass below if I don't know the depth?

Looking again at g=r(GME/RE3), doesn't that tell you that acceleration is g/5 at r/5?

As I said, I do not know what r represents, so I do not know how helpful that observation is.

Fewmet said:
I don't immediately see where g=r(GME/RE3) comes from. Is r depth or the radius of the Earth beneath you when you are at depth?
r is the distance from the center of the Earth.

I assume the derivation involves g=GME/RE2. I was thinking that assumes a point mass rather than a uniform density of the planet. (Sorry if that seems like quibbling.)
The final answer involves g, but that answer is derived assuming a uniform density.

My reply was in the context of approaching the problem as though you were standing on a smaller planet when down in the mine shaft. You are closer to the center of the Earth and are being attracted by a lesser mass. If you are at depth d, your are at radius RE-d, the mass is ρ(4/3)∏(RE-d)3.
Let r = the distance from the Earth's center and then derive the effective g(r). You'll get the equation this thread started with.

Doc Al said:
...You'll get the equation this thread started with.

Cool. I've got the derivation now. Thanks for taking time to sketch that out.

I'd long known that the g increased linearly with distance from the center of the Earth, but only as a qualitative piece of information. I hope my clumsy approach hasn't robbed xnitexlitex of the joy of discovering that.

I'm glad that you figured out the derivation, but it still isn't helping.

xnitexlitex said:

You could go with Doc Al's original suggestion and eliminate G and ME in
g=r(GME/RE3)
using
g=GME/RE2

If that doesn't make clear how to proceed, go back to what I said in the seventh post in this strand (which probably gives it away too easily). If not, post again to let us know.

Why not just work out the mass of Earth below you when you at r from the centre (using volume and density) and then work out the gravitational force from that mass at distance r ( using G and mass).
It all falls out very nicely and gives a laughably simple answer.

xnitexlitex said:
Show exactly what you plugged in where. Even if you didn't simplify the expression as I suggested, it should still work just fine. Realize that the formula gives you r, the distance from the Earth's center; you then have to use that to calculate the depth below the surface.

Related to Problem with Gravitation inside the Earth

1. What is the problem with gravitation inside the Earth?

The problem with gravitation inside the Earth is that it is not uniform throughout the entire planet. This means that the strength of gravity varies at different points on the Earth's surface and also changes as you move towards the center of the Earth.

2. Why does gravitation vary inside the Earth?

This variation in gravitation is caused by the non-uniform distribution of mass within the Earth. The Earth is not a perfect sphere and has denser areas, such as the core, which have a stronger gravitational pull than less dense areas, such as the crust.

3. How is the strength of gravity measured inside the Earth?

The strength of gravity inside the Earth is measured using a unit called g, which represents the acceleration due to gravity. On the surface of the Earth, g has an average value of 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²), but it can vary from 9.78 m/s² at the equator to 9.83 m/s² at the poles.

4. What is the impact of the problem with gravitation inside the Earth?

The variation in gravity inside the Earth can have a significant impact on geophysical processes and measurements. It can affect the accuracy of satellite measurements, cause anomalies in the Earth's magnetic field, and influence the movement of tectonic plates.

5. Can the problem with gravitation inside the Earth be solved?

While the non-uniformity of gravity inside the Earth cannot be completely eliminated, scientists are continuously working to improve our understanding of it. Advanced technologies and models are being developed to better measure and account for the variation in gravity, leading to more accurate geophysical data and predictions.